Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Music #27

27 on THE LIST: What is your favorite part of your body and why?
Here's what we think of THAT question:




That's right, that question gets a big fat thumbs up accompanied by an extra spit-y raspberry!


So I decided to change the question. Instead of my favorite body part we are going to talk about my favorite songs. While I don't have any musical talent whatsoever, if you know me at all you know that music is SUPER important in my life. Music speaks to me in so many ways. When I have intense feelings and can't find the words I turn to my favorite songs to express the things I can't on my own. I like pretty much all kinds of music at least a little, so there are a lot of songs to choose from. So here are a few of the best loved, and what they do for me. To hear the songs click on the name of the song and it will take you to the link, but don't judge me based on the video, some of them are super cheesy and I can't help that:)

  • My favorite sing at the top of my lungs in the car song: "I want you to want me" by Cheap Trick because it's just that kind of song. :)
  • The song that reminds me of my sister is "Walkin' After Midnight" by Patsy Cline, or better yet, by Bobbi because she used to sing that as we walked out to the bus stop in the wee hours of the morning in the dark and even though I acted like I hated it, I really thought she had the best voice EVER, and it helped me not be afraid to walk in the dark.
  • The song that reminds me of my mom is "Leaving On A Jet Plane" by John Denver. One time my mom had to make a long trip in a terrible blizzard. We were all really worried about her because the roads were so terrible, but my grandpa was having open heart surgery and she felt like she really needed to go anyway. So she drove us out to the bus stop, and while we waited, she sang us this song. By the time it was over, my sister and I were in TEARS. She still teases us about that. 
  • The song that reminds me of my dad is "Everything I Own" by Bread. My dad still has a record player and all his old records from when he was young (or giant black CD as my kids call them) and when I was younger he would sometimes play them and dance with us in the living room with us while he sang along. I LOVED doing that, and this was one of my very favorite songs he had.
  • The song I love on those days when someone really ticks me off is " I Pray For You" by Jaron and The Long Road to Love because even though I don't actually wish bodily harm to come to anyone it totally makes me giggle. Plus it's one of those songs you can belt while you're driving in the car, and you always feel much better when you're done.
  • The song that describes my marriage is "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry because it did die too young, and it never really had a chance to become what it was always meant too. And the last part about the dove helped me figure out and feel good about that whole DOVE situation I had right after my divorce.
  • The song that describes the way I feel a lot lately is "Sweet Silver Lining" by Kate Voegele
  • The perfect, things-aren't-going-so-well-so-let's-dance-until-we-forget-about-it song is "Tonight, Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae. It's also my kid's current favorite, and it cracks me up at the end when it says "even the white kids" and Ethan points to me every time, like I'm so much "whiter" than they are.:)
  • The best driving fast song is "Katie Wants A Fast One" by Steve Wariner and Garth Brooks, because it's kinda true.
  • The song that would absolutely not be on my playlist if I didn't have kids, but I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I don't really mind it being there is "Introducing Me" by the little Jonas from the Camp Rock 2 soundtrack.
  • The best don't give up song is "Swim" by Jack's Mannequin. There are so many profound and amazing lines in that song that help you realize you have to keep going. 
  • The song that reminds me of my best friend Levi and brings a smile to my face is "Abracadabra" by Sugar Ray, even though I have no desire whatsoever to actually "reach out and grab" him.:) But it's our favorite because we first heard it together when we were hanging out in my room and thought it was ridiculously inappropriate.  But the song that reminds me of him and the rest of my best friends in a sentimental way is "I'll Be" by Reba because we always have and always will be there for each other.
  • The song that reminds me of high school is "Stick Shifts and Safety Belts" by Cake or "steal my sunshine" by LEN because it reminds me of skipping class and driving too fast on the mountain road.
  • The song that I always think of at graduation time is "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd. Not sure why.
  • My all time favorite love song is "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's or "Fools Rush In" by Elvis Presley. Just because.
  • The song that tells of our journey to becoming a family is "God Blessed the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts because when we started our journey we were all broken and wounded but through a series of miracles we eventually made it to each other.
  • "Broken" by Lifehouse is my favorite song that reminds me of  the power of repentance and forgiveness, and the Love that we can find in our Savior. (I know, but just listen to it, you'll get it)
  • Mean by Taylor Swift reminds me of my ex husband. :)
  • When I need a good cry Landslide by Fleetwood Mac gets me every time. I belt it out at the top of my lungs, and let tears just stream down my face.
  • My favorite song to sing in the shower is either "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel or "The Rose" by pretty much anyone who ever sang. I just sound so good in there. :)
There are hundreds of other songs that have touched me in one way or another as well. The songs I really love have a specific, meaningful memory associated with them, and they continue to speak to me for years and years. So, what are your favorite songs? Do we have any in common? Do you have any suggestions for me? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with high school songs!! I miss singing those out at the top of our lungs, flying down the road in whose ever car we were in, just loving life!!!

    PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow since I won't get it in before you post tomorrow! I have really enjoyed your posts this month!!

    ReplyDelete