Sunday, June 17, 2012

I want to be a rock star! #17

#17 on THE LIST: What is the thing you most wish you were great at?


Okay, so I don't really wish I was a rock star, but I do actually wish I could sing. I mean, I CAN sing, and frequently do, but it just doesn't sound good. At all! It's not like singing doesn't run in my family. I have cousins on both sides who have amazing voices, my sister's voice is stunning, but it totally skipped me. I sound terrible. And the really bad part about this is that I love music. LOVE it! I connect with music, music speaks to me, it expresses all the feelings I have, it tells my story. The problem is, I have no ability to make it myself, and I must rely on others to tell the story for me. I remember once when I was just a little girl, back before I knew I couldn't sing, I wanted to join the branch choir. I went to practice, and the chorister asked me to sing for her. When I finished she just smiled a fake smile and said "well, your eyes are beautiful." Even my nine year old mind knew that the end of her statement, the part she wasn't saying was "... but your voice is not!" I quit the choir after that. But I didn't stop singing. I belt it out in the shower, I rock out in my car, I sing my heart out in the kitchen while I cook, I sing crazy made up songs to my kids all the time, but I really wish I sounded better...

1 comment:

  1. I knew we were separated at birth. I LOVE to sing, but others don't love it quite so much. I also joined to ward choir, and was asked to sing quieter. Now, when has a member of a choir ever been asked to sing quieter?? I quit soon after that!

    ReplyDelete