I have a lot of memories from growing up. I had a great childhood, and I could tell stories all day long, I'm sure. I don't know how significant these memories are, but they did each teach me a lesson that I've tried to apply to my life, so here we go...
5 year old me - notice I have the EXACT same smile now as I did then, I guess some things never change
Snuggle time.
My daddy teaching Ethan to creek fish
One time I learned how that spending time with your family makes an impact that nothing else will make up for. The summer I was 8 my dad and I started going fishing a lot. My sister was 13 - you know, that age that everyone reaches where you're far too cool to hang out with your dad and little sister and FISH- gag me with a spoon! (now you can place the time period, and you really feel like you're there, right?:) And my mom never wanted to tag along either, so that just left the two of us. My dad's busy season for work is the summer, and at that time of our lives that meant he usually left before the sun came up and got home after dark. But on Saturdays he usually quit a little early, and that was our chance. I dug worms and had the poles ready to load and some snacks packed to eat on the way, and as soon as he got home we were off. We found this "secret spot" up on the creek where no one else went. We drove in on a road that was terrible. It was rocky and washed out all the time, I don't think it was ever maintained. And there was a hill that was so steep I always thought we were going to flip right over when we went down it. I remember leaning back in the seat and putting my feet up against the dash to keep from falling through the windshield- or at least that's how I remember it. And getting out was even harder. We had to get a run at the hill and we would bounce and climb up, and if we were lucky we would make it to the top. Sometimes we didn't though, and we would have to BACK down the hill and try it again. It was terrifying, but I had so much trust in my dad that I knew we would be safe. I just clamped my eyes shut and held on for all my might. The trip was worth it though, because we had found a magical spot where the fish were always biting. We would part the truck and walk through a big grove of scrub oak to the creek. Then we would put our poles in the water and follow them down a ways to a spot where there was a bend in the creek. The water was deeper there, and it seemed to be where all the fish stayed waiting for a free lunch. Creek fishing in this part of the world is an art, really, the water is shallow and the creek is narrow. In some places you can nearly jump across it without getting wet. And the creek bottom is rocky and rough. You have to stay completely out of sight of where you fish or the fish will see you and NOTHING will bite after that. And you have to watch your line closely and learn the difference between a bite and the roughness of the water as it tumbles across the rocks. You also had to learn to guide the fish as you reeled it in, judging where the rocks were the smoothest and leading them through the path of least resistance. Otherwise they would swim into the rocks and get your line snagged and get away. But over the course of the summer my dad taught me all the tricks, and we always ended up catching our limit every night. But the fish weren't really the reason we fished. None of us are big fish eaters anyway. No, the draw for us was the time we spent together. We would sit along the bank about 50 yards from the magic spot and wait for the fish to bite. My dad would lounge out in the tall grass and I would lean up against him. When the sun would sink down lower in the sky and a chill would start to set in he would put his arm around me to keep me warm. We saw all kinds of wildlife as we sat on the bank. One time a deer even came and took a drink from the creek right next to where we stood. We literally could have reached out and touched it! We talked about all sorts of things, and I knew that at that moment with my dad nothing was off limits. He taught me a lot of really great life lessons that summer - things that I will never forget, and things that I have used a lot as I've grown up. And it set up a relationship that only deepened as I grew older. It wasn't until much later that I thought about that summer and realized that he took off work early for me. He certainly could have worked a few more hours, and probably would have rather done that some days, but he knew that I was waiting, so he took the time out to spend with me anyway. It was a sacrifice, but one that he was more than willing to make in order to make a difference in my life. And he did. Not only do I have an extremely strong relationship with my dad, but because of his example I am trying to take little opportunities with my own kids to help foster our relationship as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment