Thursday, June 28, 2012

The language of LOVE... #28

28 on THE LIST is What is your love language?






I've taken these quizzes several times when I was in college the first time studying family relations, but it hasn't been for years, so I decided to google it and take one again to see if I have changed. I went to THIS SITE which has a pretty straight forward version of it, you are welcome to go take the test for yourself if you want, and let me know what you got.
I learned that even after all these years I haven't changed much. I have always had acts of service as my very first love language with words of affirmation physical touch and quality time in close second, and receiving gifts far behind. This time the only difference was that the first four only had one point separating them all. I think that's pretty accurate actually. I really do know that someone loves me when they do little things for me. Honestly if I had to choose between you doing the dished for me or showering me with jewelry I would pick the dishes every time. But these acts of service are sometimes given in the form of a nice note telling me you appreciate me, or a hug or a back rub, or a great conversation, and I think that's why the other options always come in so close behind. The way that this becomes important is when it comes to the relationships with those around me. Troy's love language was receiving gifts, so when he wanted to tell me that he loved me or wanted to appologise for something he would buy me a gift, because that's what he would want. But, that is the last thing I wanted, so to me it meant very little. And when I would try to  tell him I loved him I would bake him cookies, or mow the lawn, because to me, it's easy to go out and grab a gift off a shelf at the store and bring it home, but giving service takes sacrifice, so in a way I am giving you a little part of my heart. But to him, it was no big deal, he would rather have a gift. It took us a few years before we actually figured it out, but it really did help our relationship to understand that. The site with the quiz has a quiz for kids too, so I made my kids take it (it counted as their school work point for the day, so they did it without complaining:) and it is kind of interesting. Adia had a tie for quality time and physical touch as her strongest, and Ethan had words of encouragement and gifts at the top of his - with NO points for physical touch, which didn't surprise me, but did make me giggle a little - poor guy to have a hugger as a mom.:) None of those results surprised me at all, I kind of guessed before they took the quiz, but it did make me rethink the way I show them love. While I would normally think that surprising them by having cleaned their rooms for them when they get home from school, Adia would rather have some cuddle time on the couch discussing her day, and Ethan would rather have a little surprise waiting for him with a note that says "you're awesome!" Knowing this makes it easier for me to show the kids I love them. (And in time hopefully I can help them see that the way to show me they love me is by cleaning the toilet or emptying the dishwasher:)

1 comment:

  1. That was probably the hardest test I have ever taken!!! I had a 3 way tie for mine which is kinda what I expected. I haven't ever been able to pick one thing out for mine. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete