12 on THE LIST is: Describe a typical day in your current life.
A few short weeks ago this would have gone something like this: Homework, take the kids to school, do more homework, pick the kids up from school, go to class, come home, more homework, sleep a few hours and start over again. Now my life is a little less complicated, though not much more interesting. I have the freedom to do all the things I want to do or need to do, and I have all the time in the world to do it. It is like a completely different life. I can be a good mom AND get everything done that I need to. I don't have to choose! I love it, and it is probably the last time that is ever going to happen in my life, so I am going to enjoy every second of it. However, just because I am having the time of my life doesn't mean that it is going to be one bit interesting to you. So, to spice it up a bit I am going to steal an idea from my friend Cheri and do a day in my life - in pictures...
I am jolted into consciousness by the sing song words "Mornin' Sunshine!" I open my eyes and am greeted by this horrifying lovely sight...
I groan and roll over and if I'm lucky my clock reads about this time and not any earlier...
And it's time to start the day!
I have one child who greets the day at full superhero speed...
... and one who is more like this... (The real reason for the sour face is that she "has nothing to wear" Can you believe it's started already. How can I have a 7 year old teenager?)
While Ethan spends an hour in bed waiting for the meds to kick in and listening to the ipod and Adia lays in bed reading until the grump goes away, I spend a little time with Shaun-T. If he didn't nearly kill me every single day I would totally be in love with him...
We have a tight schedule in the mornings due to our summer program so we are always busy with things like chores and school work. I work right along with them. I have chores and things to do as well, I try to get some work done while they're busy, and I monitor what they do - which is actually a lot more work than it sounds.
Then we have a little lunch. Adia usually makes it because that feeds her control freak-ness, plus it cuts down on her complaining about not liking the food. Today we had California Pizza, one of our summer favorites. Just a tortilla with sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, a little mozzarella and a dash of garlic salt - stick it in the broiler for a few minutes, and there you go.
After spending all morning inside, we need to get out of the house. We go for a hike, go to the park, or go for a scooter/bike ride for a couple of hours.
Without fail Ethan will fall down and hurt himself because he's graceful like that. Today he scraped his elbow when he rode his scooter directly into the curb. That totally beats last time when he injured some other, more sensitive part when he ran into the curb while riding his bike...
When we come back home we do a craft or science experiment or cook something. Today we made chocolate mold suckers - super easy, little clean-up, but way exciting for kids to do.
Around 5 Adia has either baseball practice or a game. We love that we live in town and can walk just about everywhere. Ethan and I walk her to practice and then play at the park while we wait.
When we get home from that I cook dinner while the kids relax and have free time. I love to cook, but in the summer we usually keep it simple. I like natural flavors so I use a lot of fresh herbs, fresh produce, and lean meats. Tonight we had citrus rosemary chicken, roasted sage and basil brussel sprouts, and cantaloupe.
After dinner the kids get ready for bed (PS don't tell Ethan you have a camera while he's in the shower, it totally freaks him out and he lectures you about modesty.)
Then we have out ritual dance party. We play music that's made for dancing and have a great time making up dance moves.
We get a little wound up and giggly after the dance party, so we all cuddle in my bad and read until we calm down. Then I put them to bed, and with any luck they go to sleep (If not, it's still quiet time so they can read quietly or listen to their ipods - but no singing or dancing:)
And once it's quiet, I work for a few hours. It's my busy time of year, so I always have something I'm trying to finish up.
Then I take a little time to read the scriptures and wind down before heading off to bed.
Goodnight world, catch ya tomorrow!



I love that you have a plan. My days are usually... I wonder what needs to be done.
ReplyDeleteOh and I have a 5 year old teenager who has nothing to wear!