This year Adia surprised me when she brought home a sign up sheet for baseball. It's not that I don't think she should play real sports or anything, it's just that she hasn't shown any interest before this. She didn't want to do soccer or volleyball or basketball, so I figured baseball wouldn't be her thing either, but I was wrong. She loves it though. She certainly isn't the best player on the team, and she usually picks flowers or draws in the dirt instead of paying attention, but she seems to really be enjoying herself anyway. Thursday was her first game, and I have to say, after watching practices I didn't have super high hopes for the outcome. I don't think Adia did either. She is super competitive, so I tried to talk to her about being a good sport and not getting upset if they don't win. She patted me on the arm and said, "don't worry mom, we get a treat after the game either way, so winning doesn't matter." The day before the game she came home from practice with a "brand new baseball outfit!" Talk about an excited girl! She's number 13 "like, LUCKY # 13! That's so perfect!"
So the day of the big game came.
She batted, hit, and made it to first! (far exceeding my expectations already)
She also played catcher, which I thought was the most adorable thing EVER - in her little catcher's gear, so darling! (I don't know anything about baseball either, can you tell?) She did pretty good at it though.
And in the end, even thought the other team was bigger and there were, like 30 of them compared to our, like 10, we triumphed! It did help that the other team never actually hit the ball... We were all excited, she got her treat, we went out for ice cream, which made Ethan excited, and all was right with the world... She plays again on Tuesday. It's an "away game" - she says it like it's glamorous - she evidently hasn't been to Dove Creek before. I would say wish her luck, but she gets a treat either way, so it doesn't really matter. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment