Kalista
I think that I have mentioned a time or two how if we didn't have Kalista in our family, and if Kalista didn't have Autism, we wouldn't have an Ethan, and therefore, no Adia in our family either. If not, I should, remind me...
I have had a special bond with my niece Kalista since she was just a baby and we lived together the summer before I started college. I love her so much. When we found out she had autism it was hard. We didn't really know much about it at the time, and so we didn't know what it meant for her life, or what we could do to "fix it". Turns out that it means a lot of things for her life, and for the life of her family, and for the life of her friends and her family's friends, and for everyone who comes into contact with all of us. Mostly it means patience. We all need to have a little more, and that helps. It also means understanding, and not judging. We all need a little more of that too. It turns out too, that there isn't any thing we can do to "fix it" but there are some things we can do to help live with it and appreciate it. We can be more educated. We can listen to her mom and do what she asks us to do to help. We can love her. We can brag about her when she has done something spectacular. And that's what I'm doing now.
Last Monday night the elementary school had a Christmas program. Kalista came! That is a big freakin' deal people! There were tons of people, and kids running EVERYWHERE (where were their parents? I don't know...) and the gym that they held the program in echos like nobody's business. Even I was uncomfortable there, but for an autistic person... I can't even describe how awful it must have been. But she came. And she stayed the WHOLE time. And it meant so much to my kids, they were so proud of her. So was I. And not only that, but she SAT ON SANTA'S LAP!!! That's huge!
I am so proud of the accomplishments she has made in order to be able to do that. It took a lot of work and a lot of improvements for her to be able to come. I am proud of her for all that she has learned the past year and a half, and for all of the new things she has tried. I am grateful that we have the opportunity to spend time with her now, and that she tolerates us, and that she hasn't kicked us out yet. (We were kind of worried about that when we moved here:) I am grateful for her patience with me and my kids, and how she gives my kids the opportunity to be better people and to think outside of themselves. I am grateful that I have her as an example in my life, and pray that I will be able to become a better person because of the things she teaches me.
I am also so thankful for her mom who has worked tirelessly and fought constantly to get her where she is, and for my brother-in-law who is so patient and helps her accomplish these huge milestones. They are real angels. Great job guys!
No comments:
Post a Comment