Last December I did a fun thing. I posted something that brought me joy every day until Christmas. (If you want to know why you can read about it HERE) I loved it. It really lifted my spirits and got me into the mood of the season. And tonight I went back and re-read them, and they once again reminded me of how blessed I am. (and some of them had me laughing like crazy - I'm pretty stinkin' funny. Ha!:) If you want to read them you can click on 2010 on my sidebar and it will give you a list of them backwards. So I decided to do it again this year. But I'm gonna change it just a little bit. And here's why:
I have been thinking a lot the last couple of days about the spirit of Christmas. One reason is because of this blog. Yesterday when I posted I mentioned that I would like to get to know my readers a little better. I have been overwhelmed by the kind comments and e-mails I have received.
(and this is my "joy" for today- being inspired by others)
I am awestruck by the kind people you all are. I appreciate that you read, and that you have found inspiration through the things I say, but more so, I appreciate the stories you have. You are fascinating, you inspire me, and you make my heart happy. It reminded me that loving and appreciating each other is something that would help us remember the real reason of Christmas- Christ, who was the ultimate example of that.
Another thing that has got me thinking is the terrible stories of "Black Friday" this year. Someone maced people to get a TV, an old man collapsed, having a heart attack, and people just stepped over him, numerous people were robbed at gunpoint after coming out of the store where they had just physically assaulted strangers in order to purchase Christmas gifts at a fraction of the cost. The entire thing is crazy to me.
Does that sound like a good way to kick off the celebration of the coming of the Prince of PEACE?
( on a side note, I am not against Black Friday, just against injuring others in a quest for a great deal on an ipod. )
And then yesterday I was in a check out line at the store when the cashier said that I was the first person who had smiled at her all day long (this was afternoon, so that's no good) That made me so sad. Why are we so grouchy at a time of year when we should be filled with joy? Why are we hateful when we should be remembering the gift of love that was given to all the world? So all of that combined with my thoughts about last year's Joy Series made me realize that I want to share my joy with others. So each day I am going to do something for someone else, to bring them joy. If it's appropriate I'll let you know how it went along with my joy of the day. You are welcome to join me in...
"The Joy Challenge 2011"
(things are always a little funner to participate in if they have an official sounding name:)
if you want. Lets see if we can send this year out with a bang - or at least a little extra happiness.
And my joy spreading for today came from my helping an elderly gentleman fill out the paperwork at the dentist. - It's all done on computers there, and this guy had no idea what to do. I helped him get signed in and then we visited about his growing up in Moab - he knew my Grandpa Wilcox - until Adia was finished, and then he helped me wheel her out to the car and get her buckled in - she's always dead weight for hours when she has to be sedated. So it was a give-take joy today! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment