Monday, December 5, 2011

Joy #5

Today I had a delivery. That isn't unusual because I live in the middle of no where, so I do all my shopping online. I have been getting packages for a couple of months now in preparation for Christmas. But this delivery was different. It was my Christmas cards! I was so excited! I could hardly hold in my giggling as I tore open the package, lifted the lid of the box, and laid eyes on them. I was delighted with the way they turned out. I had big plans of taking a nice family picture this year. I coordinated outfits to not be matchy-matchy, but still look good together. I picked out the perfect place to shoot them. But then it snowed. And our outfits were not snow friendly. And my kids whined about being cold. And I yelled, and all of us cried. So I packed them up and took them home, and I kid you not, the SECOND we walked back in the house the kids begged to go out and play in the snow. So I figured, what the heck! We bundled up and headed out. We don't match AT ALL, and nothing is posed or professional looking. But it was a great day, and a perfect memory, and that is what I want to share with out friends and family this year. The image of us the way we usually are - happy and messy and crazy. And that is what brought me joy today.
And the way I spread joy was a bit of a flop. As I dropped the kids off in front of the school I noticed a little tiny girl waiting at the corner, as though she was trying to cross the street. It's busy that time of morning, and there isn't a crossing guard at that intersection at that time, so it's a little tricky to cross especially when you are about two feet tall. By the time the kids got into the school I looked back and she was still standing there. I figured she needed help, so I parked and went over to help her. I told her to take my hand and we would get across the street safely. She did, and we crossed without incident. But then once we were across she just stood there like she didn't know what to do. I told her to run into the school before she was late, and she just shook her head. I asked if she knew where her class was- she shook her head. I asked if she knew her teacher's name- more head shaking. I asked what I could do to help her and she just looked at me with big scared eyes. I asked again, and she whispered very softly "I can't talk to strangers." I told her that was good, but I was trying to help her, so would she go into the school with me so we could find someone who she could talk to. She considered it for a minute, and again took my hand and we walked into the school together. (This is one reason that I'm not a fan of teaching kids "stranger danger" by the way, it doesn't actually work. I know I'll get some emails from angry moms about that comment, but I stand by it. It really isn't the best plan.) So we went into the school and tried to sort things out. It turns out that she knew one of the moms who happened to be in the foyer at the moment, so she was able to talk to us. Turns out she doesn't actually go to school, she had just walked her sister to school and hadn't gone back home yet. (Why the heck she was standing on the corner in the FREEZING snow and wind is beyond me) Then some crazy stranger lady (me) came and took her hand and made her cross the street, then harassed her when they got to the other side. And her mom was going to be SO MAD! So quick as that I took her back across the street and watched her until she got home. Geez, what a disaster! So I didn't bring joy to her for sure, but I think the laughing coming from the other moms in the foyer means I brought them a little bit of joy, so it worked out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment