Tradition is something that is really important to me. I love old traditions, I love starting new traditions, I love that when you look back on your life, it's the traditions that really stick out. I think they are important, especially now that we have Ethan who thrives on schedule and order, and knowing what's coming up next, tradition gives him something to count on even in the crazy holiday times that kind of throw him for a loop. I was really lucky growing up to have both sets of grandparents live in the same town as us. This made for some really amazing opportunities to spend time with them and form a really strong bond that a lot of my cousins don't have. One of the best things about it though, was that we got to have Christmas with both sides of the family. At some point a million years ago, (I'm not really sure when it started, but I know I was still in elementary school, so a million years ago is a pretty good guess) we started going over to my Grandma and Grandpa Fuller's house on Christmas Eve. I have another uncle on that side of the family who lives in La Sal as well, and all of us would gather and bring snack foods and we would eat and visit and then open presents. (We used to do a family picture then too, but one year we realized that my dad wore the same shirt for like three years in a row, and we never took another one after that...;) Well, that is a tradition that still continues on today. It's fun because I remember being so excited as a kid, and now I take my kids and they are just as antsy and wound up as I used to get. I love that my kids get the opportunity to spend time with our family like that, especially my grandparents. When I was young I lived near my great grandparents and got to spend a lot of time with them. That formed such a special relationship, one that even though they are gone now, I still cherish. I'm glad that my kids are forming the same kind of bond with their great grandparents. That's a special thing that not all people get. It's like a gift, and one I hope they will always be grateful for. Well, as I said, we usually do the party on Christmas Eve, but as we have grown up, and as family dynamics have changed it gets harder and harder to all meet on the same night. This year we did it last night so that everyone could make it. It was so much fun to sit and stuff and visit. My family is so good to my kids, they spoil them completely rotten, and they are so patient and kind. Most of the time when we go out in public or large groups I feel really anxious. I am worried about how Ethan will behave and how other people will deal with the way he acts, and whether he will have a melt down or offend someone or make a mess. I get so uptight about it that I can't even enjoy myself. But if we are around people that I know love us and care about us and won't judge I can relax and just let things happen. It is such a rare opportunity, but one I appreciate so much. This is how I feel around these members of my family. I don't stress about anything, I know that whatever happens everyone is going to love us anyway, and that makes all of the experiences we have with them such good memories.
Then as we were leaving I was backing out and hurt a CRUNCH! I instantly realized I had backed into my cousin's car. But when we got out to inspect things there wasn't even a scratch on either of the cars! My dad says it was because both of our bumpers are made out of plastic so they just bounced right back into place, but I think my guardian angel was standing in the way and the crunch sound was her. Either way, it gave me great joy! (sorry about that little crunched angel)
No comments:
Post a Comment