
Since I was first married I started a tradition. Saturday night movie party! I love movies. Even the low budget cheesy not really worth your time movies. I love the concepts and making fun of bad acting, and becoming, if just for a minute part of someone else's story. I especially love going to the theater. There is something about sitting in the dark with your feet stuck to the spilled soda on the floor eating way over priced popcorn and junior mints, watching a movie unfold on a larger than life screen, that just gets me excited. Here's the problem though. I talk in movies. I can't stop. I comment on everything, I guess what's going to happen next, I laugh out loud in scary parts, basically I'm pretty annoying. When I was in high school that was okay because my best friend Levi was exactly the same as me, so I wasn't the only one. But after I got married I was just the annoying person who ruined everyone's movie. Thus began Saturday Night Movie Party. (my favorite, second only to naked Thursdays- until we had kids and had to stop that one:) Basically, I was to embarrassing to be taken into public, so we had to stay home. It began with us renting a movie and me popping popcorn and calling it a party. Then it grew to a few movies and a bag of candy to go along with the popcorn. Then we started skipping dinner, making all kinds of snack-y junk food, and spending all night cuddled in blankets watching several movies. (The name also became "eat crap night" because that's all we did all night, sit around watching movies and eating crap:) Then we moved in with my parents after the divorce, and I worried things would have to change. Luckily my kids didn't give anyone a chance to change much, they just picked out some movies every Saturday, listed the treats they wanted me to make, and we continued on as always. I don't know how my parents feel about it, but they are pretty good sports anyway. And even though we live on our own now we still go back to their house every Saturday night and eat junk and watch movies, and no one complains about my annoying habits. And that's what we spent the night doing tonight, and I loved it.
And I spread the joy by bringing over some of my special Idle Isle Chocolates that are now my dad's favorite things.
No comments:
Post a Comment