I found joy at church today. If you know me very well you might not believe that, but it's true. It's not that I don't like church, I really love it actually. But since we moved here it just hasn't been the same. We have lived here for five months now, and still hardly any one sits by us or talks to us or really even knows us. Everyone is very nice, just not friendly. There are a few people who have been super kind and welcoming, but we still feel like we don't belong. Lately Sunday has just seemed like three hours of torture that we have to get through. In fact, I have come to the point where I actually LOOK FORWARD to Monday! I know, it's sick. But today people were friendly. People came and introduced themselves. People talked to us without making the snooty "I'm better than you" face. Someone even sat by me in class. It was so nice.
And then what made it even better is when we got home the kids let me take a nap. I really can't remember the last time that happened. It was great too.
I spread joy today by helping Adia complete a big secret project she's been working on for Ethan for Christmas. She has been putting tons of time and effort into this present, and she's so excited to give it to him, but she needed a little extra help with some things, and so we set up a secret workshop and worked on it together. She was really pleased with the outcome, and I had the best time ever crafting with her and visiting and laughing. It was so much fun.
I saw your comment over at I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar and couldn't help wondering where you lived, so I hopped on over here. As soon I started looking at your pictures, I had a sinking feeling and just *knew* where you were; I don't live there, but that's where my dad grew up and I have spent a lot of time there. I'm so sad that people haven't been friendly to you, although I'm happy that your neighbor gifts went well. (And now I'm also running through a mental list of all the people I know who might be in your ward and wondering why they couldn't be nicer, which is funny since you and I have never met and I just found your blog this morning!) Thank you for posting this; it has made me think harder about how I treat newcomers in our ward. I would never knowingly be mean, but maybe I'm not as friendly and welcoming as I should be.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!