Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tomorrow...

In honor of adoption month I try to read an adoption book in Ethan's class every year. The book varies on what he chooses, but it is usually a good experience. This year Adia gets her turn, and it's tomorrow. This is the book that she chose. It is Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis and it's one of her favorites. It talks about when the parents got the call to pick up there baby, and they SCREAMED. It talks about how they went to pick her up and they were scared and excited and they even cried. Then all the way home they held her like a china doll all the way home and glared at anyone who sneezed. It talks about the first time they changed her diaper and fed her, and how they didn't get any sleep. It talks about how her story is a little bit different and a little bit special, but at the same time still like everyone else's. The mom still sings her the lullabys she learned as a girl, and the dad still teaches her about baseball, and they are still just a regular family. Then every time we finish reading it Adia gets out her life book (Like a scrapbook/baby book for kids who were adopted, and we look at it, and I tell her the story about getting the call to pick her up, and how we screamed. And how we cried the first time we held her, and we were overprotective and glared at anyone who sneezed. We talk about the first time we changed her and the first time we fed her, and how we didn't get any sleep. We talk about how our story is a little bit different and a little bit special, but mostly the same, and I sing her the lullabys that I used to sing to her, that my mom and grandmas sang to me, and I love adoption a little bit more for what it brought to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment