Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Miracle of Adoption: Finding Ethan

Last year I posted our entire adoption story in one shot. It was LONG to say the least. This year I have decided to post it in segments. I figure this way those of you who wanted to read it, and just didn't want to devote hours of you life to making your way through it could still enjoy it. So here is "chapter one" Finding Ethan:

First of all I have to tell you that I believe in miracles. I don't think I did before, but now I can't deny them. Troy, and I had decided not to tell our parents that we were looking into adoption until we had already gotten started, so we where looking around for an agency that we liked. We thought we had decided on one, and I was getting ready to send in our paperwork when one Monday morning I had the feeling to tell my mom about it. I called her and told her, and she surprised me by saying that she knew where my baby was. My dad is in the high counsel in their stake back home, and in his meeting the day before the stake presidency presented them with a strange situation. They had received two memos about children who were up for adoption. They don't usually get info like that, so they didn't know what to do with it, and took the problem to the high counsel to figure out a solution. My dad hadn't paid much attention to the specifics, but he thought it was a little boy, and a baby girl, but my mom said she would set out to track down the info for me. I have to say, my hopes were up. I had dreams of how easy it was going to be. Then, when my mom called with the info, all hopes were dashed. Neither was the baby we were expecting. One was a 13 year old boy with a criminal background, and we knew we weren't at a place in our life to deal with that. The other was a two and a half year old who had been removed from an abusive household for failure to thrive and had been diagnosed with autism, FAS, RAD, ADHD, and developmental delays.That sounded way out of our league too, so we just decided that it wasn't for us, and went back to our original plan. I had decided to turn our paperwork in to the agency the next day, but all that day I just couldn't get the little boy out of my head. I kept thinking about him over and over, and when Troy got home that night I told him I thought maybe we should look into it a little further. His comment was "Are you CRAZY!?!" and he spent the rest of the night thinking of reasons that confirmed that I was, in fact, crazy. But that night The little boy wouldn't stay out of my dreams. I saw him with our family. I saw his face. I knew that the little boy from the memo was our little boy, no matter how "crazy" it seemed, so the next day I set out to find solutions to all of the problems he had presented the night before. I found doctors and agencies and schools to help with his special needs,I found out more about DSPD and getting on the waiting list, I owned my own business, and had even figured out what we would have to do in order to afford to bring someone in to help me run it so I could have more time to take the boy to all of his appointments. I had an answer to everything, so when Troy walked in the door that night, before he had even taken off his jacket, I hit him with "The Plan" It took convincing, all evening long, but the next morning after Troy woke up he told me that it was alright to find out more information about the boy, but that we weren't making a decision yet. I didn't know it at the time, but he had just had the same dreams I had the night before. We were planning on going to visit my parents that weekend, and were going to get the info from my dad, and go to the temple and try to get an answer. That trip was one of the longest in my life. I couldn't wait to get there and get that memo in my hands. When we walked in my mom met us at the door with the memo. I was instantly in tears. I knew it was our son. I could only pray that Troy felt the same way. I won't go into it, but we affectionately call that day in the temple "Heavenly Father beating us over the head with the idea". Miracle after miracle happened making us know for sure that it was right. We left the temple, and called Kyle, the LDSFS social worker who's name was on the memo. When we told him how we found out about Ethan he was shocked. He had only sent the info to other LDSFS offices in California, and had no idea how it had gotten to a little tiny stake in southeastern Utah. I think that's the point when I finally started to realize all of the miracles that were going on.

Stay tuned for the next chapter in a few days. Can't wait that long? the full story is available to read Just click on the link on the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment