Sunday, February 1, 2009

The reason I am the one who stays home, and Troy is the one who works.

I have some fun stuff to post about the kid's birthday, but I'm still working on it, so instead I will tell you about my yesterday. I had this awful skit thing I had to be in for our Stake RS VT Conference. It was a Brunch that I had to be to at 9:30, and it got over at 11:30. When I was leaving everyone was up and finishing up breakfast, and getting ready to shower and get ready for the day. Adia has had a monster of a cough so I started a pot of water boiling on the stove, to steam the air and break up the cough. I told Troy about it, and said to keep an eye on it and make sure the water didn't boil out. I figured it would be no problem, and I left. When I got home I walked up to the house where I see what used to be my garbage can laying in a melted heap on the step. I can see the contence of what had been in the garbage was now ashes. My heart started beating a little faster, but I figured that since I couldn't see smoke pouring out of the house, and since the family wasn't standing in the yard with the fire department we were fine. Then I opened the door, and was met by a cloud of smoke. I yell to be sure I can hear three voices, I do, and none of them are frantic, so I know that everyone is alright. I go up stairs to see what's going on. Apparently Ethan noticed the burner going and wanted to see what would happen in he stuck the wooden handle of my frying pan next to the heat. It smoldered (didn't catch on fire, just turned turned black and got smaller, depositing ashes all over my stove, the floor, and my son. That was pretty cool, so he thought "I wonder if it would do the same thing to my paper airplane?" It didn't, it caught on fire. Knowing he was in trouble, and wanting to get rid of the evidence he grabbed the flaming plane and threw it in the trash. We just had two birthdays, so the garbage was full of wrapping paper, instantly the whole trash can went up in flames. Then he knew he was in trouble, so he thought he better throw water on it. The only problem is that he is too short to reach the sink. He goes and gets the step stool, pushes it over to the counter, climbs up, gets a cup out of the cupboard, pushes the stool over to the sink, climbs up, gets a little water in the cup, jumps down, spilling the water, therefore needing to climb up and get more, climbs down, slips on the water he just spilled, and spills some more, decides that he better clean up the spills before he falls again, so he goes to the drawer and pulls out a towel and starts mopping it up. Where is Troy, you ask? I asked too, the only answer is NOT upstairs watching my kitchen burning! Finally Ethan gets another glass of water, pores it in the growing flames, it doesn't help at all. Finally Troy smells smoke and makes his way upstairs, puts out the fire, takes the trash can outside, and hoses it down just in case. About then I make it home. Luckily there really wasn't a lot of damage, there was black all over my stove, black on my kitchen wall next to the trash can, and ashes all over the floor. Also, the trash can melted on the floor a little. Surprisingly it all cleaned up without a problem. It took a little scrubbing, but it was all cleaned in a matter of an hour. We did have to repaint the kitchen wall, but we were planning on doing that anyway, and already had the paint. The trash can obviously couldn't be salvaged, and that made me sad, because I really liked it, but considering how bad it could have been we happily just went and bought a new one. After it was all cleaned up we asked Ethan what happened, and he answered, "It wasn't me." After being reminded that liars have to wash their mouths out with soap he quickly spilled the whole thing. I put Ethan to work cleaning the rest of the house and Troy went outside to clean his shop because he "needed a break" This is after two hours. TWO HOURS! I am ALONE with the kids for FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT, with no break EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!! What would we do if the roles were reversed? I guess we are lucky that he has a job, or we would all be in trouble:)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I am so glad that your family is okay, and that your house is okay too! Parker caught my Mom's trash on fire too! Must be a boy thing. You have scared me though, because as of this week Jer is the stay home and I am the worker! Oh no I hope they don't burn the house down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story to remember! Glad no one was hurt and that your house was safe.
    I have to laugh though, everytime I leave my husband home to watch the kids he somehow forgets to feed them. I don't know how many times or how many children I have come home too, digging there own dinner out of the garbage!

    I know our honey's our great at something but I think the full-time mom job is left best to us~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My body hurts from laughing so hard! Oh that is a wonderful story. Today, Katherine stuck an eraser on the light bulb because she wanted to know what would happened. lucky for us, Emmalee came and told us. Kids are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is no wonder why I worry when I go out:) I don't expect much from him just that the kids are alive, and hopefully fed. I spend 12 hours a day with them and really work on being patient and not losing my temper with their chaos. He is home for an hour and the kids are on the naughty step and he is losing his temper fast. I remind him why I am the one that stays home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that it wasn't any worse than what it was.. I do agree with you thank goodness our men go to work because they couldn't handle the kids for 5 days straight in a row...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so glad that everything is okay. Poor little Ethan was probably so scared.

    ReplyDelete