Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A yummy disaster in the kitchen

My kids LOVE breakfast for dinner! Troy hates it, so while he is gone I am trying to wear them out on it. We have it at least once every other week. They like to eat it, and I like to make it because it is so simple and requires no pre-planning. It is also fun because they can help with everything but the actual cooking part. Anyway, tonight was a breakfast-for-dinner night, and they chose pancakes and scrambled eggs. Their favorite kind of pancake is peanut butter and banana animals. (All pancakes at out house are animals, it's just the flavor that changes. That is a tradition started by Grandma Fuller, and it has carried down to my children and me. They used to want easy to make animals like snakes or turtles, but now they are asking for really difficult things like giraffes and eagles. Try sculpting that out of pancake batter, it's not as easy as it sounds!) We were out of bananas (Thanks to one little boy who stole the whole bunch while I was outside talking to the mail man, and unwrapped them all and hid them under his mattress-huge mess-LOTS of cleanup-early bed time tonight!) but they insisted that was the kind they wanted. So I started brainstorming things that went with peanut butter-honey, chocolate, jelly-that was all I could come up with. I added some honey to the batter which made it taste really good. Then I made my animals and used chocolate syrup to add the details-they were SO cute! But then when I turned the pancake over to cook the other side it tuned into a disaster. The syrup stuck to the pan and the pancake didn't cook around the parts that were touching the syrup. Then, the syrup started to scorch and turned into this hard, burned, awful mess. So, I regrouped and we decided to add jelly. I just put a little dab in the middle of the pancake and then covered it with more batter. When it was done cooking it was a warm little pocket of oozing goodness. It was great! In fact it might be a new favorite. Anyway, not that any of this matters, it's just fun when you make up something new, and it actually works.

2 comments: