Monday, February 4, 2008
The First Presidency
Wow, what an exciting day! This has been an emotional week for me as President Hinkley (The leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) passed away. I am so happy for him, and feel so blessed that we as a church know that there is life after this one, and that we can all be united again some day. It gives me such peace and joy to know that some day we will hear President Hinkley speak, hear his jokes, and learn at his feet. He is such a wonderful example, and I love him so much. I am happy that he is finally home. But my emotions have also taken me to a selfish place every once in a while, and I know I will miss him. Miss the quiet way he handled the world. Miss his humor, and powerful messages he gave. I will miss the hope that he always made me feel when he spoke. After his funeral on Saturday it really sunk in that he has moved on to the next stage of his journey. But today made that all seem to fit into place. Today a new First Presidency was announced. I am so excited about our new leaders. I just know that while they will never take the place of President Hinkley, they do have new and wonderful things to teach us, and they will make thier own place in our hearts as the leaders of our church. I have always loved all three of these men, as long as I can remember them. Especially President Monson. I have always thought he was a wonderful leader. There is something about the way he speaks, and the sound of his voice that has always brought me peace. I am excited for him to take over the leadership of the church, and can't wait to see what his area of focus will be. It is a new and wonderful time, and I am ready for the adventure. I also feel like this is such a testimony that the church is really God's church. What other organization do you know of that can make such a smooth transition from one leader to another. (Certainly not the leadership of our country) Through the time since President Hinkley's passing I have never felt uneasy about the future of the church. I have known that Heavenly Father has a plan and that it will all be taken care of the way He has planned. The events of today proved that, and makes me feel so blessed to be a part of this church. I am excited to "introduce" my children to our new leaders and watch as they grow up learning from these men, and gaining a love for them, and a testimony that they are true prophets of our church.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI too was saddened when I heard about President Hinkley, but when I watched the news conference on t.v. about the new presidency I was very excited. I think that they will do a good job and be great leaders. I think Saturday was the day that I actually believed that President Hinkley was gone. Thanks for your thoughts.
Mini vent- so in my ward on Sunday everyone kept saying how excited that Pres. Monson was going to be the new Pres. when the church had not made it offical. Anyway that made me really crazy. Okay sorry yes we were sad, but happy too!I love the stability of our church.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day Saturday was to teach our children.
I had a very similar reaction to President Hinckley's passing. I was joyful he would be reunited with his sweet wife. He did what was asked of him in this life (if not so much more) and did it with a smile. He was a beautiful person, and I am glad he's moved to the next phase of his existence.
ReplyDeleteI also look forward to seeing where President Monson leads us, and what his counselors will teach us. I've loved all three of these men since I've known who they were. Truly, we will have wonderful leadership in the coming days, weeks, months, and years.