Monday, February 25, 2008
Too Much Help!
Do you ever feel like life would be easier if you just had a little less help? For the past few months Adia has picked up little jobs around the house and claimed them as hers. She helps me sort the laundry, she holds the dustpan when I sweep, she helps me set the table, helps me cook, helps vacuum, helps load and unload the dishwasher, things like that. But lately she has taken the "Helps" part out of it, and now she insists on doing it herself. No more helping me- where I do most of it, and she puts her hand on whatever we are doing and calls it helping. Now she won't even let me touch some of the things that she does. It's great that she is learning and taking responsibility for it all herself, and I know that when she gets a little older, the fact that she is learning this stuff now will seem like a great blessing to me. But for now it is just too much help. unloading the dishwasher used to take five minutes. Now she has to unload one plate, crawl up on her chair, crawl up on the counter, put the plate away, crawl back down, get another plate, and start the whole process all over. It can take an hour to do that one five minute job. And it's not like I can just leave her to do it and come back when it's over, she drops about every other dish, and with all of that climbing up and down I'm afraid she will fall-she totally got her gracefulness (Or lack of it) from me! So I stand in the kitchen thinking of all of the things I could be doing and wait to catch her or the latest flying item of kitchenware. The same with the laundry, sweeping, and everything else. She even tries to vacuum by herself, which is really hard when the vacuum is taller by about a foot, and outweighs her by fifteen pounds. I love that she tries to do things on her own, and I know that it's just the stage of the age, but sometimes I want to throw an "I want to do it MYSELF!" fit too. I have even tried to teach her about team work, and how it's sometimes better to work together, but she doesn't buy it. I guess there is nothing left to do but have patience and pray that she will still want to help this much when she gets older and is actually able to do it without breaking anything, or making a bigger mess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I so understand what you are saying! We hand wash the dishes... and it takes Emmalee forever to rinse them! I'm learning too. Suggestion: Look at other things you can do in the same room. Like when I clean the bathroom, I have Emmalee do the Mirror. I can do everything else in that time. Taking the trash out, Emmalee has to replace the trash liner... and in that time I have put my shoes on, taken the trash out, come back in and taken my shoes off. It is a blessing to have helpers!
ReplyDeleteThis is a phase, in a few weeks (maybe sooner) she will get bored with it and only do it occasionally. Dailynn has stopped doing most of her chores, and when she does do them I have about a 15 min time frame to get as much as I can out of her. It will pass, and get easier, just hang in there.
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of that at my house, too. What helping me is that I let Jackie wash the dishes while I load the dishwasher. She scrapes off all the plates with the scrub brush and has all sorts of fun in the sink (makes quite a big mess on the floor but one bath towel and about 2 minutes takes care of that) and she thinks she's really doing it since I'm doing "something different." After I'm done with what I can get in the dishwasher from everywhere else, then I load those plates that she already "washed" into the dishwasher. I tell her she's doing the prewashing. . . (which actually has to be done with my dishwasher.)
ReplyDelete