Monday, September 15, 2008
Training...
So, about our running idea... I have done some research, and thanks to my friend Ellie, I found something about going from a couch potato who is too lazy to get up and walk to the TV to turn the channel to a Olympic gold medal winner in six easy steps (Or something like that:) And we decided to start "Training" Neither Troy nor I are runners - at all! We are big on walking, we hike- at a slow, leisurely pace- all the time, but we DON'T run! I haven't run since college, and even then I didn't do it because I liked it, I did it because my friend was on the men's soccer team, and he would drag me along as he worked out-and I went with a smile on my face because I wanted to spend time with him. (Luckily, I soon married a non-runner, and was put out of my misery:) But we decided that we are going to commit to this, and even if we do it, and then never run again in our lives, we are going to do it! So, we did some prep work. We bought new tires-all rubber, no more flats- for our jogging stroller (The fact that we even OWN a jogging stroller might suggest that we, oh, I don't know, JOG, but nope, we used to live in La Sal, and regular strollers don't work on the gravel roads) strapped both kids in with plenty of snacks, laced up our running shoes, and took off. From our research we learned that the best way to start is to run and walk equal amount of time. EX: Run five minutes, walk five minutes. We decided that we would run until we needed a rest, and time how long that was, and then walk...Two minutes later... No really, we did pretty good for our first time. I was very impressed with us-for now (Mostly impressed that we did it, and are still alive to talk about it). We did a little over two miles in just over 25 minutes-not great, I know, but we will improve... I hope. We had a few things going for us. First, we are both competitive. Neither of us wanted to be the first to stop, so we would push on a little longer than we thought we could. We also had two kids who are slave drivers who kept saying "why did you stop running mom?" (UH, because mommy is about to DIE, that's why!) "I thought you were going for a run, not slow-walk" "Let's go faster!" Anyway, we have run twice now, (The "training Program" suggests that you run every other day, and do another form of training in between) and we still aren't dead. We also do a great job stretching, so we really aren't that sore either. It is still a little bit of torture, but it is fun to get out and do something, and we really love having a goal that we are working toward together. If you have any suggestions for us, let us know, and other than that, just cheer us on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really wish I had the desire to run...Maybe if it wasn't so hard to push a stroller in this country I would be more motivated. I am excited to hear how it goes...Shalena started walking and then slowly went to running and now she runs like 3 miles a day! She said it was pretty easy if you were consistent....Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!
ReplyDeleteI am also totally NOT a runner. Although lately I've been watching friends and family train for all kinds of races and they are doing awesome! They are getting in shape, they are happy, they look great - it makes me really want to join in the 'fun'.
Good luck!
What a great idea Katie. I think we're going to copy your technique for our training. Something that is a great motivator for me is this pedometer I have it's fun to feel all tired when you get done working out but when you look at the pedometer and see how many steps you have taken and how many calories you've burned it make you feel all warm and fuzzy. :p
ReplyDeleteI did try that program as wel a few months ago. I enjoy running by myself---for my mental and physical well being. I felt like I was making improvements and felt good. Yet, I worried because my knees were throbbing a couple weeks into it. Both my grandmas have knee replacements and my mom has to have injections in hers monthly. I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on my knees. But I really wanted to lose weight and get in shape so I kept walking. So even if jogging doesn't work out, walking briskly 20 minutes is better than nothing. I have lost over 20 pounds of baby weight in the past few months! It is great becasue of the weight loss, the time to regroup and think, plus my dog gets a walk.
ReplyDeleteWay to go!!! I'm so proud of you guys! 12 1/2 minute miles isn't bad, and for a first time, it's awesome!!! Way to go.
ReplyDelete