Thursday, September 4, 2008

What was going through your HEAD?

Last night things were going fine. Troy and I were cleaning out stuff from the storage space under the stairs. I was going through a bunch of things from my old pre-school days in Enoch, basking in the wonderful memories, and deciding what needed to stay and what should go. (I should have done this about three moves ago! I threw away about four of those big plastic bins full of stuff that I can't or won't use again. That would have made a little extra room in the moving truck!) Anyway, I'm getting off subject. The point is, we were busy, so we weren't paying enough attention to our kids. They were playing in Ethan's room, and every now and then we would go in and check on them, but for the most part they were being good, so we kind of ignored them. One of my favorite sayings is "Even much worse than a storm or riot, is a bunch of kids who are suddenly quiet." This was the case last night. They were being TOO good, I should have known something was up. All of a sudden I heard Adia SCREAMING! We ran into Ethan's room where we saw her laying next to Ethan's bed. At closer inspection we noticed that only her body was laying next to Ethan's bed, with her little hands and legs waving and kicking like crazy. Her head was UNDER the bed. Ethan has one of those beds where the bottom part is drawers., and it is all boxed in so you can't crawl under it. While in theory this is an excellent idea because you can use the otherwise wasted space as an effective area for storage. It is not, in reality, a great solution when you have a child who hoards food. We were constantly digging food out of those drawers, from week old hot dogs to last night's dessert. And we could never put anything in the drawers because the food could be easily hid under the items. Eventually we just glued the drawers shut so he couldn't get into them, but recently one of the drawers was forced into having a come-apart. I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet, so I just took the drawer out and there has been an open space there. Well, the kids were playing "Plumber" (Who comes up with this stuff?) and Adia crawled through the drawer hole to "Fix the sink" (Much like Dad did in the bathroom a couple of weeks ago during the toilet paper disaster- see a previous post about the missionaries) That turned out fine, it was when she had fixed the sink and was crawling out from under the bed that she turned her head at a funny angle and got it stuck. She started to panic, so Ethan started to pull on her legs, causing the head to wedge even tighter. That's what we walked in to find, Ethan having given up and gone to hide in the closet to avoid getting in trouble for an idea that was obviously his, he just couldn't get his big head through the little hole in the first place. We tried and tried to dislodge the head, and nothing was working. Finally Troy suggested that he better go get his saw and cut her out. He meant cut the bed, but she thought he was talking about cutting her head off, and that extra bit of fear was enough to dislodge the head. She had a huge dent in her forehead all night long and I thought she would have a big bruise this morning, but it is so light you can barely see it. There seems to be no permanent damage done, though both of the kids have vowed to never do "Plumbing" again. It is one of those situations where you were concerned when it was happening, but now that it's over, you can't help but laugh at the randomness of it all. The only down side is that in all the commotion I didn't even think of grabbing my video camera. Really, me, I didn't even document it at all! I keep trying to get her to reenact it for the sake of posterity, but she won't even consider it. :(

2 comments:

  1. I feel so sorry for Adia..but I have to admit that it was funny. I would be the same way. Really worried when it was taking place but as soon as it was all over I would be laughing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had a picture in my head and that worked for this moment. I laughed so hard that I almost peed my pants!

    ReplyDelete