Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Quite the camping trip...

So, after staying up all night watching the progress of the fire, Sunday morning came bright and early, and our house was filled with four cranky people. Troy and Adia were cranky because they were tired, Ethan was cranky because it was one of those days, and I was cranky because everyone else was cranky! Don't we sound like a load of fun? So, after getting home from the DISASTER that was church, where Adia and I spent the whole Sacrament meeting out in the foyer because she wouldn't stop whining at the top of her voice, and Ethan got kicked out of Primary and had to spend the last hour in Troy's class with him, nearly getting Troy kicked out of HIS class, and I was reprimanded for playing a "non church song" (That was clean and VERY appropriate) to my young women class even though I had gotten permission ahead of time... Finally we made it home and decided we needed a break. Even though we had heard that there was a storm warning issued for our county we weren't worried. It was a smoldering hot day, and there was not a cloud in sight. We decided that it was time to break in the motor home, somewhere other than our back yard. We headed up to a campground near Mantua Lake (Pronounced Man-away, don't ask me why, I don't know, neither do any of the people who live here. ) to see if there were any open camping spots. This is a first for me. I come from the sticks where you just drive up on the mountain, find a place where no one else is camped and set up your stuff. I have NEVER had to pay for a camp site, and NEVER had to be told where I was or was not aloud to camp, and how many people, cars, pets and tents were aloud in that spot, and told how long I could stay. Anyway, we found a spot that fit our needs, and paid our fee. Literally, no sooner had we slipped the payment envelope in the pay box than the rain started coming down in SHEETS! That will show us to go camping on Sunday! After we got the camp all set up we did play outside until we were soaked to the skin, and then we took hot showers, settled into our pajamas and watched movies and cooked frozen pizza and bread sticks for dinner. It was a pretty pleasant evening with all the comforts of home. The next morning we woke up to rain...still... It hadn't stopped all night. We did get bundled up and go for a hike, but after about an hour and a half the kids started visibly shivering, and we had to head back. We had a really good time though, and I got a TON of great pictures. Most of them are what Troy calls (Lovingly, I'm sure) "Artsy-fartsy" shots, meaning they aren't posed with everyone smiling and tilting thier heads. He isn't very impressed with the pictures, but I love them, so I will include a few here:) After our hike we decided it was time to pack up and go home. We made it home in about five minutes, and were in the house, showered and unpacked within the hour. It wasn't really roughing it, but it was fun anyway. It was a great way to spend the holiday, and a wonderful way to make memories. We had a perfect time.

4 comments:

  1. I like your pictures. What kind of Camera do you have? Its nice to have the casual random pictures that are real and show true colors.

    Jess :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun and your pictures are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures, they're so cute. Camping in a motor home is a lot different then tenting it. But it's still fun and a great way to escape for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos too! By the way, I love my photos too. My favorite is the one of Hannah and the pole.

    ReplyDelete