I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and I thought I would share. This is not meant to sound boastful or anything, it's mainly just a reminder to myself that I am a pretty lucky girl. I have noticed that lately, particularly on my blog I have been kind of a whiner. I have been complaining a lot, and that is partially because I am TRYING to be funny, partially because I often write when I am practically in the moment, and partially because one of my main purposes for starting this blog is to vent. This is a therapy for me, and sometimes in therapy you whine. That being said, I think I am complaining too much. (When you start to annoy yourself it's time to change something) I have really been thinking lately how lucky I am. I complain about the fact that every night one or both of my children keep me awake, but really most of my life I have
struggled with not being able to sleep, and I should be grateful that now I have someone to stay up with. Really, we have excellent talks and bonding time at three in the morning that most parents never get with their kids. I complain that my kids mess up my house, but I remember not too long ago, when every square inch of my home was in it's place, and spotless, and I was so lonely my heart ached, and I mourned the fact that I didn't have children. I complain because I am constantly running from one thing to the next, run someone to a class, prepare my YW lesson, clean the house, pick something up for Troy, be sure that dinner is ready, don't be late for PTA meeting, rush back in time for bed time... I should be thanking my lucky stars that I am able to move and get out and do things. I have a house to clean, I have food to prepare for dinner, I have a family who depends on me, I am a stay at home mom, and have the luxury of taking kids to dance class, and being a member of the PTA.
I get to spend time with my kids when they get home from school, and I get to be the one who asks about their day, and teaches them new things, and helps them learn math by baking cookies and left and right by riding in the car. All week I have been complaining about how I fear I might actually die from my new running experience. (I should be praying for it to happen!) Really, I should be happy that I have two strong legs, and a healthy heart and lungs that allow me to try this crazy adventure. Just this very weekend I was complaining that my husband has been spending hours every night installing a new kitchen for a lady in our ward who insists that it is the elders quorum's job to fix her house, and she shouldn't be expected to hire a professional. Really I am lucky that I have a husband who can do those kinds of things for me, so I don't have to ask others to donate their time to help me. I am lucky that I have a husband who has a servant's heart, and doesn't mind spending extra time helping others who need it. I am lucky that my husband is a hard worker, and that he uses his strength, knowledge, gifts, and priesthood power to bless those around us. I am lucky that he is a kind and loving person who people feel like they can approach when they need help. (And that he is kind and hasn't left his nagging, griping wife a long time ago) I complain that I got sick this week from scrubbing the mold off of the walls at one of my Young Women's house who's father recently passed away. I am lucky that I don't have mold on my own walls. I am lucky that it wasn't my father or husband who just passed away. I am lucky that even if it was, I have been sealed to my family, and therefore have the power to be with them again after this life. I am so lucky to have the Gospel in my life that I know all of these things, and can find comfort in them.
(If you would like to know more about the LDS church, or the sealing power I have just mentioned please feel free to ask questions in the comment section) Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, I have a lot more to be grateful for than I have to complain about, and I am going to try to remember that. That's not to say that the complaining is over, I do like a good rant every now and then, but I hope I can do a little bit more celebrating as well. 
struggled with not being able to sleep, and I should be grateful that now I have someone to stay up with. Really, we have excellent talks and bonding time at three in the morning that most parents never get with their kids. I complain that my kids mess up my house, but I remember not too long ago, when every square inch of my home was in it's place, and spotless, and I was so lonely my heart ached, and I mourned the fact that I didn't have children. I complain because I am constantly running from one thing to the next, run someone to a class, prepare my YW lesson, clean the house, pick something up for Troy, be sure that dinner is ready, don't be late for PTA meeting, rush back in time for bed time... I should be thanking my lucky stars that I am able to move and get out and do things. I have a house to clean, I have food to prepare for dinner, I have a family who depends on me, I am a stay at home mom, and have the luxury of taking kids to dance class, and being a member of the PTA.
I get to spend time with my kids when they get home from school, and I get to be the one who asks about their day, and teaches them new things, and helps them learn math by baking cookies and left and right by riding in the car. All week I have been complaining about how I fear I might actually die from my new running experience. (I should be praying for it to happen!) Really, I should be happy that I have two strong legs, and a healthy heart and lungs that allow me to try this crazy adventure. Just this very weekend I was complaining that my husband has been spending hours every night installing a new kitchen for a lady in our ward who insists that it is the elders quorum's job to fix her house, and she shouldn't be expected to hire a professional. Really I am lucky that I have a husband who can do those kinds of things for me, so I don't have to ask others to donate their time to help me. I am lucky that I have a husband who has a servant's heart, and doesn't mind spending extra time helping others who need it. I am lucky that my husband is a hard worker, and that he uses his strength, knowledge, gifts, and priesthood power to bless those around us. I am lucky that he is a kind and loving person who people feel like they can approach when they need help. (And that he is kind and hasn't left his nagging, griping wife a long time ago) I complain that I got sick this week from scrubbing the mold off of the walls at one of my Young Women's house who's father recently passed away. I am lucky that I don't have mold on my own walls. I am lucky that it wasn't my father or husband who just passed away. I am lucky that even if it was, I have been sealed to my family, and therefore have the power to be with them again after this life. I am so lucky to have the Gospel in my life that I know all of these things, and can find comfort in them.
(If you would like to know more about the LDS church, or the sealing power I have just mentioned please feel free to ask questions in the comment section) Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, I have a lot more to be grateful for than I have to complain about, and I am going to try to remember that. That's not to say that the complaining is over, I do like a good rant every now and then, but I hope I can do a little bit more celebrating as well. 
I love to hear you vent though, you are so passioniate, not as much as your boxer husband, but enough to make me feel justified in my vents. Thanks for making me laugh.
ReplyDeleteKatie - you brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful and heartfelt post. What a gorgeous reminder of our blessings. I am inspired by your grateful heart.
ReplyDeleteWe are so blessed - aren't we??? I think of the world around us, and think of how we live - and we are so amazingly blessed. There are times I don't feel like I deserve being so blessed, and I think that's when I end up complaining, or Satan reminds me of the things I 'don't' have.
Thanks for reminding me of the good things, and the positive side of all things in our lives.
(P.S. When I was at Time Out For Women last week I totally thought of you! I was sitting there during one of the breaks and I said to my mom "I bet Katie is here!" I even started searching the crowd hoping to find you. And then on our way home I almost ran out of gas right out of the canyon as you come into Brigham City. My mom was all freaked out as we coasted on fumes. I said, "I'm not worried - we'll find the Eberlings and they can come help us if we get stuck without gas!" Luckily we made it to a gas-station - but sadly we didn't have time to try to find you guys. We really will try to plan to come by one of these times we are up that way!)