Monday, September 1, 2008

Help! Fire!

This weekend started out pretty uneventful. We watched movies Friday night, lounged around Saturday morning followed by doing some shopping, and then getting some jobs done around the house, followed by some more movies. Around nine as I was trying to get the kids to bed it started to lightning and thunder. The wind also started blowing a bit, so Troy decided to run outside and be sure that the windows in the truck were rolled up. Suddenly he hollered through the door "Katie, get out here NOW!" It was in his 'hurry right now, this is way more than my truck seats getting wet' voice, so I immediately went to the door. Up on the hill near our house lightning had struck the ground and started a fire (Troy watched it all happen, and that's why he hollered to me.) We were running in the house to call 911 when we heard the sirens, they were on their way. On the good side, it started to rain just then, and that helped get it under control, on the other side though, it was windy, and the ground was REALLY dry, so it was spreading like crazy. We watched it moving down the hill, coming closer and closer to our neighborhood. It was still several miles away, but it was still scary! We could see the flames shooting up, and smell the smoke. (We have had a week of smoke, first a farmer was burning his field and it got out of hand, and then the next two nights arsons burned first an apartment building, and then a historical building. My poor kids allergies are kicking up from the smoke, and their little eyes are watering non stop) Anyway, it was wild, and burned for about two hours before they actually got it under control and started getting it put out. Pretty exciting for a while. I got some video of it, but I can't get it to download, so maybe I will add it later.

1 comment:

  1. The Historial Building is actually some one in our ward's family. Pretty sad story there! At first I thought your were going to say there was a fire in your house!

    ReplyDelete