Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's because I'm so stinkin' beautiful!


Adia is a really beautiful girl. She has those huge ice blue eyes, beautiful porcelain skin, and that darling little smile. She is just really pretty. She gets told that all the time, which is fine. I think everyone needs to hear that they are beautiful now and then. But she hears it so much that we started worrying that she would turn into one of those girls who think looks are all that matter, or use her beauty to slide through life and never have to develop her character or something, so we have made sure to talk a lot about how the beauty on the inside is more important than the beauty on the outside. I want her to know that she is beautiful, but I want her to be more proud that she is a kind person then that she has darling dimples. I don't know if it's working or not. Yesterday we were in the store, and Adia said hello to the guy in front of us in line. He said Hi back and asked her how old she was, what her name was, ect. -This is an every-time occurrence with her. When they were done talking she turned to me and said " That guy talked to me!" Teasing, I said "Why did he do that?" I don't know exactly what answer I was expecting, but what I got was "Because I'm so stinkin' beautiful!" The guy who had been talking to her heard and got a good chuckle out of it, but it really had me worried. I know she hears that a lot, and I'm certain that I am the one who she is quoting when she says "Stinkin' beautiful" but this made me concerned that she was putting too much importance into her looks. As we walked out of the store we stopped by the "gumball store" That's what Adia calls that section at the front of the store where there are all those little .25 candy machines and the little rides. She had worked hard and earned a dollar in quarters and had big plans of spending the whole thing. She had been talking since she woke up that morning about riding in the Big Bird Car (.50 a ride) and buy a gum ball and a ring. She hadn't stopped talking about it, and if you know Adia, you KNOW how much talking that must have been:) When we got to the gumball store there were three other kids there. They didn't have money, but they were trying to turn the little knobs in hopes that a gumball store miracle might happen, and a mystery candy would come out, you know how kids do. Adia ran right over and climbed up in the Big Bird car and got ready to put her money in, but then she looked at the kids and asked if she could share with them instead. I told her that it would be fine if she was sure, and so she gave every kid a quarter, and they all got to choose a candy. I was proud of her, and as we were driving home I wondered why she shared instead of getting all of the things she had really wanted all day. The answer-"Because she's so stinkin' beautiful!" And as I have watched her since then I think it's true. She is so kind to her friends, and so sensitive to the feelings of others. She helps Ethan, and protects him. I sometimes feel bad for her because some days it seems like I am spending every spare minute on Ethan, doing homework, going to meetings at his school, talking through his problems, etc, but she never complains. She willingly and lovingly gives the time that should be hers to him because she is so stinkin' beautiful. She cries when she sees someone is sad, she gives things without asking for anything in return, she is the best "Kiss it all better-er" in the world. She really is beautiful. So we might have to talk more about the difference between cockiness and self confidence, but as far as beauty on the inside, I think I can let up a little:) Maybe I don't have so much to worry about after all...until she is a teenager, then I'm sure there will be something to worry about...

4 comments:

  1. I think that we all ought to know that we're stinkin' beautiful. I also think that this isn't cockiness. It's true self-confidence. Cockiness is when we have to build ourselves up. Self confidence is when other people have helped us believe in ourselves. Way to go Adia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so much for sharing your blog. What a neat post. I completely understand where you are coming from on worrying about your daughter, I remember going through the same thing. SO another words for your daughter her beauty is "shinning thru".For her it starts on the inside and comes outward. Way to go mom and dad! I am excited to follow your family blog! ~Tanya~

    ReplyDelete
  3. She IS stinkin beautiful! What a cute story. Her physical beauty reminds me of Phoebe. We hear it everywhere we go as well. Maybe they are cousins? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I worry about the same thing with our niece Abby. (I dont have any yet to worry about:p) But when moments like those happen that are so precious, it helps remind me of the person she truly is. Adia reminds me a lot of Abby. Yes these little girls are stinkin' beautiful :) But I believe they have a closeness with our Heavnely Father that we dont quite understand. Which makes them so special. :)

    ReplyDelete