Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Getting back on track

It has been a really long time since I last blogged. I wish it was because I had been on some kind of awesome adventure and didn't have time to write, but the sad truth is that there just hasn't been much to say. But now I am starting to get emails from worried friends who wonder if I'm doing alright, and so I am going to fill you in on the last week or so.
First, We had Stake Conference for church, and the speaker was President Boyd K Packer, (A leader of the LDS church) It was really exciting to hear what he had to say, though as I spoke to other people who were there they didn't have quite the same reaction to it that I did. He is from Brigham City originally and spoke about how it was settled, and the things that the pioneers went through to make this area a home. I learned a lot about the history, and that's what several people thought his whole talk consisted of, and maybe they were right, but I got a totally different message. The whole conference had been about being prepared in this unstable economy, and to me that's what he talked about too. He kind of compared us to the early settlers. When they were asked to settle here, they went to General conference one day, and the prophet read their names off of a list, and then announced that they and their family had been called to make a settlement farther north. They had been in the Salt Lake valley for about two years, and had fought to build homes and businesses, and in the time it took to read their names, their whole life had changed. But they came because the prophet (And ultimately God) asked them to, and they built a beautiful city where there hadn't been one before. It wasn't easy, they had hard times, but they were trying to do what the Lord wanted and they were blessed. And really cool things came out of it - Peach Days, and the MIA program, President Packer to name a few. But the way that it relates to us is that sometimes hard things are asked of us, but when we do what the Lord wants us to, we can do hard things. This is a scary time, but we can make it through. Another thing he said that I loved, and that made me feel much safer is that in all the years he had worked for the church (And there have been a LOT of years) he has never seen the church leaders worried about our future. He had seen them interested and concerned, but never worried, and this is no exception. I also learned that when the Lord asks you to do something, DO IT! Don't complain or second guess, just do it. Our church leaders have been telling us to be prepared for times like these, get a year supply of food storage in your home, and have some money saved away for a rainy day. Those who have done that aren't as worried about this as those who haven't. (I'm sad to say that we are closer to the ones who haven't side of the fence. We have a lot of holes to fill in) Anyway, it was a wonderful conference. He was very funny, and held all of us captivated, even my children, which is a true miracle. And the thing I loved the most is that he didn't teach us by pounding the scriptures, he taught us through example, and spoke plainly as if we were having a conversation between friends. I have never really known much about him before this, but as I listened to him, and felt of his spirit, I felt a love for him grow. I know he is a leader called of God, and I am so blessed to have learned at his feet.
Wow, I guess that could have been a whole post on it's own.
SO on to the next thing. That weekend Grandma and Grandpa Eberling came up and stayed a night with us. It was fun to have them. (Grandpa, here is something that will make you smile. Adia has been grouchy all morning, and I told her to lay down on the couch and go to sleep until she could be nice. She isn't really tired, but guess what she is doing now... Laying on the couch singing "Oh, the yawning man, the yawning man...":)
Grandpa Gill also decided to sell us his motor home, and as soon as we save up enough money to fill it with gas we will go pick it up. (mostly joking, but kinda not:) We are excited to be able to go camping and have adventures in it. Thanks Grandpa!
Adia decided to give herself a haircut. Luckily, it is just in the front, and not super short, so it just looks like she has a LOT of beaver bangs. I straitened it up as best I could, then this weekend Aunt Bobbi fixed it for us, and in a couple of weeks she will look perfect again. Every time she sees scissors now she tells me "Only moms can cut hair, right?" I answer, that most moms shouldn't, we should leave it to the professionals. (Thanks Aunt Bobbi!)
We went home to La Sal for the weekend to celebrate Mother's Day. It was a lot of fun, but boy is it a long drive! I think that each time we go, but it won't stop us from going back again. (Don't worry mom) We got to go to the temple while we were there, and saw my parents who were working that shift. (thanks Grandpa and Grandma Eberling for watching the kids while we went) Another fun thing that happened was kind of a miracle. When I was really little my parents bought a whole bunch of copies of a book about the Manti Temple (At the time that was the closest temple to where we were living. It's where my parents were married. We have many lovely memories of going there and feeling the spirit, and having adventures. It's a very special place, and still to this day is my very favorite temple.) It is a beautiful book, and when they got all of these they told my sister and I that when we got married in the temple we could have a copy of the book. Well, several years later guess what...I was married in that very place, the tower room of my beloved Manti temple. So almost as soon as we were pronounced married I asked my dad for my copy of the book. After all, I had been waiting for years, and had worked hard to be worthy to go there, and find a worthy Young man to take me there, I had earned it, right? Well, he said that he wanted to write something in it for me, and he would get it to me soon. Well this coming Sunday will be my six year anniversary... SIX YEARS! And still no book. I kind of razzed him about it this weekend, giving him a hard time and telling him that he must not have anything to say to me if it would take him this long to write a little note for me. It is kind of a running joke with us, and I didn't expect to ever get a copy of the book until he went crazy from old age, and I put him in an institution and could go steal a book from his house. Well, when we were getting ready to leave he handed me a gift. Inside was my beautiful book with my dad's beautiful testimony of the temple written inside. I couldn't have asked for a better gift. Happy anniversary to me!!! Thanks so much Dad! I love it! Anyway, we had a great weekend, and our only complaint is that it went by so fast.
Yesterday we had had a family home evening about love, and one of the ways that you show love is to serve others. We had a little game called "Plant good deeds, and you will grow love, not weeds" We had a whole bunch of paper vegetables cut in half, and when you would find the match piece it would say something cheesy like "Lettus, all help wash the dishes" or "you have bean so busy lately, let me help you get your work done" Now our kids keep going around the house saying "if you Carrot all you will let me help with..." The carrot is the only one they remember, but hey, it's working so I can't complain. If I would have known it was that easy to get them to help each other...
Anyway, that's about it as far as news goes. Whew, it ended up being much more than I though it would be, I guess next time I won't wait so long to write.

1 comment:

  1. I love everything you wrote. You were so blessed to have Pres. Packer come visit. I feel blessed for having Elder Porter (of the Seventy) here for our stake conference. Oh they are all such wise men. Really I understand the whole being prepared thing too. I wasn't that good when we were in Cedar... but let me tell you... something about Northern Utah did something for my spirit. I'm proud of my food storage!
    Thank you for sharing all your stories and about family home evening. We are reviewing the Strength for the Youth for our FHE and we did graditude last night. I like your lesson too! We are heading to Dino Park on Friday, so I may stop by and bring you a "present" on my way down!

    ReplyDelete