Thursday, November 8, 2007
Why can't anything be simple?
You may think that I am just being dramatic, but it's true. NOTHING happens the easy way at our house. Usually in the long run we find that it happened for the best, but while its happening it just seems like if something can go wrong it does. Take today for example. The day started out well enough but then 12:15am rolled around and it's all been down hill from there. Just kidding, It really did start out alright. Ethan was up most of the night, but he was good about it, and I caught a few naps here and there. Today Ethan was going to the dentist which if you know Ethan, that is enough to strike fear into the heart of one and all. He doesn't handle doctors well. I had called the school and told them that Ethan wouldn't be there, and I thought they would let the bus people know. Well, 7:30 rolls around I am soaping up in the shower singing a little ditty and I hear the doorbell ring. At first I ignore it, thinking that anyone rude enough to come by before eight without an appointment deserves to stand out in the cold. Then the bell rings again, and I hear Ethan tear down the stairs hollering that he will get it. I don't want him letting random people in our house, or going with anyone, so I jump out of the shower, shampoo bubbles dripping down my face, run out of the bathroom, pulling my robe on as I slide across the bathroom floor. I dash to the entry way of the house to see the door swung wide open, and no one in sight. I rush to the door and look to find Ethan getting on the bus with the aid with Adia running right behind him. I dash out shouting for them to stop, explain everything to the bus driver and aid, as soapy ice crystals form on my hair and the neighbors all get a great view of me in my bathrobe(NOT a pretty sight I might add), and gather up my children. (As if the bus driver doesn't already think I am pathetic enough, I have to keep confirming all of her beliefs day after day) So we get back in the house and after I deadbolt the door and latch the chain we all get ready for the day. Then we go to Providence to the dentist who I LOVE!!! I really do, I LOVE him. I told Troy that and he asked if he needed to worry about our marraige. And really, if I didn't love my family the way it was he might need to worry, because I love this guy. He is perfect with Ethan, and is very understanding. He is patient and gentle, and his staff is wonderful too. When you have had nothing but horrifying experiences with Dentists and doctors it really does make a difference when someone cares. Anyway, you get the point. We found out that Ethan has lost much of the enamal on his teeth (Very common for autistic kids)and has a cavity. Great, lets fix it right...no, that's much too easy. Because of the way Ethan reacts to the dentist he is recommending that we take him to the hospital and put him completely under so that there is as little trauma to Ethan, myself and the dentist as possible. (So here I start loving the dentist a little less) Okay, for as long as we have had Ethan we have tried going at things the "Natural" way so as not to mess up his levels or his schedule, but the dentist insists that this is the safest most effective way, and has facts and pamphlets for me to read, and takes the time to explain it and answer all of my question, so I decide it will be alright and we can get started right?...Nope, not that easy either. The hospital won't do the procedure unless they have a note from Ethan's doctor saying he is in good enough health. Makes sence right? I'm okay with that, but we don't have a doctor here yet, and they won't accept a fax from either our Family doctor in Moab or the specialist in Cedar City. (That part I don't get) So I come home and call every doctor in Brigham who will accept children, and either they aren't accepting new patients, or they are booked until late December. So finally I find a doctor who will accept Ethan in Logan (Thanks so much Melissa!)and we are going in to see him tomorrow. So, Ethan is missing another day of school, but I made sure to call the bus driver, and I am putting a note on the door in the morning, and locking the chain on the door just to be safe. Yes, life around here is always an adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment