Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Doctor

I have had a lot of people write and ask how Ethan's Doctor's appointment went, so I guess I will write about that now. It went so well! I got the name of the clinic in Logan from my friend Melissa, but the doctor she sees was booked until the 28th, so we got an appointment with a newer doctor in the clinic. And I am so glad we did. He was the perfect doctor for us. I LOVE him too. Not quite as much as the dentist because I really do love that guy, but it's a close second for sure:) Anyway, he is so patient with Ethan, and really friendly. He made him feel very comfortable, and Ethan calmed right down. He was also really great with me. He wasn't nice, just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear. He told me the facts, no matter how hard, and then how to deal with it. My past experiences with doctors has been, they find out what is wrong with Ethan, and that coupled with his history makes them know that we are dealing with something difficult, so they sugar coat it and pat me on the arm and say that everything is going to work out, it will all be okay, and slowly give me bits and pieces of the problem so as not to scare me. I have come to terms with everything that comes along with Ethan a long time ago, it isn't scary to me, I don't need to be told that everything will be okay, I need to be told the problem, and what it is goin to take to fix it. I need the facts, not sympathy. I don't feel like Ethan is a burden, he is my son, and while he does come with a few extra challenges, I don't need anyone to feel sorry for us, especially when it takes away from me being able to give him 100% of what he needs. This doctor is awesome. He gave it to me strait, and even though it was mostly bad news he didn't baby me along. He also talked to me like I was smart, and I loved that too. He realised that I knew what I was talking about, and spoke to me like I did. He also knows a lot about the special problems Ethan faces and wasn't intimidated by it. He has the latest info on new studies and treatments, and was willing to share those with me, as well as his opinion about what is right for us, and has agreed to work with me to find the best program to fit Ethan's needs. All in all it was a good experience. He did clear Ethan to get the dental work done at the hospital, however he did find a problem with his heart. It isn't really serious yet, but he wants to monitor it very closely, and see Ethan at least once a month for the next year or so. As long as it doesn't get worse everything will be fine. So in total it was a good day. (Even though we had a traumatic experience with a urine sample and Adia calling out the door to the doctor giving him a play by play of what was going on-everyone was impressed with the vocabulary, by the way- which gave Ethan a slight case of stage fright making the job of getting the cup full that much more difficult. Next time we are leaving that little helper home. Now they both tell everyone we see about it-"mom put Ethan's pee in a cup and carried it around with her."...) Anyway, it was great and now I know once again that this is the place we are supposed to be. My mom is going to cry when she reads that, but it's true, and even she knows it. (Love you mom) Anyway, that's it from our zoo.

1 comment:

  1. I understand about being up here. This area calls to people to move here. It is very interesting. I have a wonderful story to share. I'll be down in Brigham on Friday. I have an appointment at 11. Maybe I should come earlier so I can visit with you! I have to be back in Garland by 2 and I don't know how long my appointment will take.

    ReplyDelete