HOT, right?
Remember last year when I thought Ethan was going blind? We discovered he really just wanted to wear glasses, so he was pretending, and the eye doctor told me to give him some frames without the lenses and just let him wear that. Well... instead of that I just told him to get over it. I know, mother of the year over here. Well evidently he didn't do that.
I was picking the kids up from school when two snotty tattle tale girls from Ethan's class came over to me. I know, I'm super mature for calling them names, they just make a point of tattling on Ethan every time they seem me. Sometimes it's good to know, but usually it isn't a big deal, and they are just trying to get him in trouble, so I would rather they not tell me. He gets in enough trouble on his own he doesn't need their help. So anyway, they tell me that Ethan stole someones glasses and wouldn't give them back so he had to spend the day in the Principal's office. What!? So I go to his class to nail down the details about this, and it turns out that isn't exactly what happened. Evidently his class was outside for PE and Ethan had to use the bathroom so he came inside. On his way he noticed some bright blue glasses in the lost and found. He went into the office and asked the principal if he could have them. She asked him if they were his, and he said, "Um... yeah." And let me just tell you right here that Ethan is probably the worst liar in the world. As in, he can't tell one... at all. It's not that he doesn't try occasionally, he's just really bad at it. His eyes are shifty, he changes his story, there is no confidence whatsoever in his voice, it's obvious when he is not telling the truth. (and as a mom that's one of the qualities I love most:) But the principal wasn't tipped off, so she gave him the glasses, and he went on his way. Well, when class started he put on his new glasses and that's when the real trouble started. He totally couldn't see. Everything was blurry. So he figured they were dirty, and tried to clean them, but it didn't help, so he kept trying to clean them with no luck until it became a distraction, and no one was listening to the teacher, they were all trying to help Ethan clean his glasses. But wait, the teacher didn't know anything about Ethan getting glasses, and that is probably something she and I would have communicated about, so she knew there was a problem. She asked Ethan where he got the glasses. He answered that they were from the office. The principal had just given them to him. She told him that she didn't believe him, and he needed to give them back to him because they weren't his. He said that he wouldn't give them back because they were his now, the principal had given them to him. - Kind of true... So he got sent to the office to get things figured out. He got a talking to about lying and stealing. The glasses were taken away. He has to miss lunch recess. (because that is totally relevant to the situation so he is definitely going to learn his lesson there.)
So it wasn't as bad as the snotty girls said, but still, not our best moment.
I talked to him about it afterword to see what was behind it all. He said "Well glasses are super cool, and I'm super cool, so I should have some glasses! PLUS you got to get glasses this year and YOU don't even LIKE them, AND you aren't even that cool anyway, so it's NOT EVEN FAIR! And no one was taking care of those glasses, and I didn't sneak them, I asked, and she gave them to me!"
And most of that is a pretty legitimate argument, so we went and bought some cheap sunglasses, took out the lenses, and he's totally fine now. PLUS he looks super cool, don't you think? Not at all dorky. Not everyone could pull that look off, -certainly not me because I'm not even that cool anyway- but this guy has no trouble.
He looks good in them! :) Next time the girls tattle, just say "oh, good- I'm really glad he did that- I think I'll give him ice cream at home!" I had a kid that kept tattling on one of mine, and after I applauded her a few times, the girl stopped the tattle! :)
ReplyDeleteI think it is funny when people wnat glasses. I had them since 2nd grade and it wasn't that cool:)
ReplyDelete