Thursday, May 17, 2012

Best $2.99 plus shipping I ever spent!


A few months ago I bought a case of pineapples. We love dried fruit, and my mom bought me a super-duty dehydrator this year, so I thought it seemed like a fabulous idea... Until I was facing a case of pineapples that all needed to be peeled and sliced and cored... then, not such a good idea. BUT... thanks to my new best friend pinterest I found out about this handy little tool. 

Product Details
I know the picture isn't that great, but it's a pineapple peeler/slicer/corer, which is EXACTLY what I was needing! So I looked it up on Amazon and found one for just $2.99 plus shipping! Yay! I had that much money, so I figured, why not. I ordered it, got it a few days later, just in time for my case of pineapples to reach  their peak of ripeness. I wasn't sure if something that cheap would really be worth it, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I have to tell you, this baby was a life saver. You whop off the top of the pineapple, stick the hole in the end of the tool over the core of the pineapple, and push lightly while twisting the handle. When you get to the bottom you have a spiral of beautifully uniformly sliced pineapple, perfect for drying. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! I know, your mind is already reeling with the fabulousness of the pineapple peeler/slicer/corer, and you are thinking to yourself, "how could this possible get any better?" but it's true, my friend, there is more to love. First, it saves all the juice inside the empty casing. I use pineapple juice for everything - smoothies, as a sweetener in baked goods, to add flavor to my cooked dishes, to make my famous change-your-life-make-you-rethink-the-way-you-look-at-Asian-food-best-thing-you-have-ever-tasted-in-your-life-good-enough-to-eat-by-the-spoonful-straight-out-of-the-bowl sweet and sour sauce, to stop the sliced apples and bananas from turning brown, the list is endless. And all you have to do is take out the fruit, poor the juice into ice cube trays and freeze. Then they are ready to take out just the right amount any time you need it! LOVE IT!!! And possibly the very best part of the whole thing, it leaves you with the intact casing of the pineapple that you can fill with a fancy tropical punch, add a straw, and serve with your impromptu white girl's Hawaiian Luau!

Look how happy it made them. They even ate all of dinner without complaining! I love you pineapple peeler/slicer/corer. You truly are the best $2.99 plus shipping I have ever spent.

2 comments:

  1. I so love you Katie! It totally makes me want to by one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie I was so convinced to buy one (I didn't actually...but you almost got me to) and I don't even like pineapple :) I miss you and your cute kids! :)

    ReplyDelete