Monday, May 7, 2012

A family tradition

My Grandma is a journal writer. In fact, she's famous for it. She has kept a journal for every day of my life, and for much longer than that. Her house is filled with dozens and dozens of journals. If people from around here want to know who was blessed, or baptized, or married, etc. on what day by whom they call my Grandma. Her records have proven to be even more accurate than the church records in some cases. And the stories she has locked away in those beautiful books... I can't even tell you what a treasure they are. That is something I have always been really proud of, my grandma who has left such a legacy of journaling. I used to be really good at journaling, and thought I was carrying on the family tradition of sorts. But then I got busy and stopped for the most part. In fact the closest thing I have kept to a journal for the last several years is my blog, and if you follow me you know that even that has suffered the last few years. I guess I do a pretty good job of documenting everything in photos, but it just isn't the same, and we all know that.
Yesterday my dad took Ethan home teaching with him. That's something cool about LaSal, there aren't enough people for everyone to get a partner, so it is pretty common for men to take their wife or sons along with them. And since we moved here, my dad usually takes Ethan. He even lets him give the lesson sometimes, and Ethan loves it! I love that he's having that experience, and I hope that it instills in him the desire to continue being faithful in doing home teaching for the rest of his life. (A girl can hope, can't she?) Well, one of the families that they visit are my grandparents, and yesterday they must have done some talking about journals because Ethan came home and was determined to write "everything that happened in his whole life, just like Grandma." And he's been at it ever since. He wrote in it until bedtime last night, and then I heard him up for a few hours last night writing more. And this morning after he was ready for school and finished with chores, he was back at it again. I just read some of it (with permission, of course;) and I love the things that he has considered significant in his life. It's pretty incredible to hear his story, told by him. I love it! I hope this is something he will continue to be passionate about for the rest of his life, and a tradition that he carries on to his posterity. I'm grateful that we have my grandma around to teach him things like that, and I'm grateful that he picked up on it, and seems to have such a passion for it... Maybe he'll rub off on me...

1 comment:

  1. He will definetly remember that great example of his grandpa and hometeaching! It is so great to have your great parents around

    ReplyDelete