I made adoption shirts for my kids and me to wear this month. (I'll post about them soon, I just have to upload the photos.) I love them, and my kids are so excited to wear them. They really are proud of being adopted, like it is a super power or something, and couldn't wait to wear the shirts to school. Today I was approached by a "concerned member of the faculty" who thinks they are inappropriate. This person (who I actually wouldn't consider a member of the faculty at all, given that they aren't actually employed by the school district... but I guess that's beside the point:) wondered why I was parading it around like I was, and if I thought it was necessary to "plaster it across their chest like a scarlet letter. " They didn't see why I was shoving adoption down everyone's throat. They worried that it would shame the kids and that their friends would make fun of them for it. They thought I was being an irresponsible parent.
As I felt my blood pressure rise, I told the person, as kindly as I could, that I was proud of adoption and how it blessed my life. I told them that my kids were proud of being adopted, and they felt no shame at all. In fact, one kid told Adia earlier in the week that she thought adoption was weird, and Adia told her just how cool it was until the girl ended up saying she wished she was adopted too. I offered to make the person an "I heart adoption" shirt of their own - they declined:) and I thanked them for their concern, but I thought we would be fine.
I think this is one of the reasons we need an Adoption Awareness Month.
I think people should know that adoption isn't second rate, or a last resort, or a tragic situation.
It is something that blesses families, and creates joy, and enriches lives.
I think I would be an irresponsible parent if I didn't celebrate it; if I didn't shout it from the rooftops!
I apologize if my enthusiasm comes across as shoving it down your throat, I don't mean to do that, I just want to educate others. I can't help myself.
Adoption rocks people!
Spread the word! :)
Good job! Being you is cool - Whom-ever you are, where-ever you are from!
ReplyDelete