Monday, March 23, 2009

Hero of the week...

*Many of you noticed that last week the "hero of the week" post was missing. I had one ready and thought that I had posted it, but then things started happening, such as the transmission in Troy's truck going out and Ethan being sent home from school for bad behavior and I just never checked on it until a few of you sent e-mails asking about it. By the time I realized that I never posted it I just decided to save it until this week, so here we go.
Well, some of you might have guessed it, but this weeks hero is my mom. She is literally a life saver. Last week we were SO SICK! We had been sick on and off since January, and every time we thought we were about to kick it we would get it again. But last week we REALLY got it. I lost my voice, something that NEVER happens to me, we had terrible coughs, we had really high fevers, our noses were running like faucets, and our bodies were achy. Finally after a really long day and a longer night I decided to go home and get taken care of by my mom. My mom is the BEST when you are sick. She takes such good care of you, fixes you whatever you want to eat, sees to any silly request you might have, and talks to you with such compassion, you can tell she is really worried and sorry that you aren't feeling well. As soon as we got to her house (which was a process, three sick babies-one being me-in a six hour car ride is no picnic I tell you) she got the kids settled with snacks and a movie in the living room and let me go into my room and sleep - which I did for four hours strait without even moving. She took care of the kids for me the whole time, so that I could get the rest I needed. Then that night she stayed up with the kids all night so I could get more sleep. Then that night when I had a fever of 104 and was shaking with cold chills so much I couldn't get up she came in and took care of me. She let me sleep the entire next day too. I really wasn't a great mom that week. I let my mom take care of the kids the entire time, and she did a great job at it. By the end of the second day, when I finally woke up after nine hours of sleep Ethan was all better, and Adia was almost there too. By late the next afternoon even I was feeling much better. She really was a true life saver to our family, and that is what makes her the hero of the week.

Here is what makes her the hero of my life: She is one of my very best friends. I really wouldn't make it through the day without her. When we lived in La Sal just a few miles from her we went to her house every. single. day. When we moved away, she was the one I knew I would miss the very most, I even wondered if I could be a mom without her help. We are doing alright, but I do talk to her at least once every day! She helps me with every single problem I have. Even if she can't really do anything to fix things for me, I can usually figure things out after a few minutes of talking to her, and if nothing else I always feel better. I remember when we were trying to adopt our kids, I know she spent hours on her knees praying for us. She was the first one to rush over when we would be told we couldn't get the kids, and the one who jumped around with me like a crazy person when we were told that we could go pick them up. She is the person that I know I can vent to no matter if I'm right or wrong she just listens and then when I'm all finished she gently reminds me of the things I already know. We also call ourselves "partners in crime". The pickles we get into together, you would be shocked. There have been countless times that we have had to figure a way out of a predicament we have gotten ourselves into, but one thing for sure, I know I can handle anything with her by my side. She also really loves me. It doesn't matter what I do, or how much I screw things up, she loves me just the same, sometimes even more at those times. She has taught me everything I know, from how to cook and clean to how to love and forgive. She is a great example of the kind of person I want to be. She shows through example how to live. She makes the very best rolls in the whole entire world. Really, they are the best. Sometimes when I get really homesick I dream about them, Yum! She is also the very best grandma ever. My kids love her so much because she is so much fun. Adia loves her so much that every time we come home from her house she cries the ENTIRE 6 hour drive. She takes them on adventures, and lets them do things that I never have the patience to try. And she sends them packages in the mail just because. I could go on and on, but the point is my mom is the greatest. She is my hero, not only for the week, but forever.

4 comments:

  1. Kathy @ Kathy's Thoughts and AdventuresMarch 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

    Yes, Kate, you do have the greatest Mom in the world and she is a hero to many of us in the way that she has touched our lives for good. I love her dearly and cherish my "sister" relationship with her. Her examples of righteousness are so embedded into my heart and I constantly pray that I can be more like her in my daily actions. You are truly a blessed woman because of her and you are just as sweet and caring as she is. I love you both very much.
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom too! She is a lifesaver to me when my kids are getting out of control in sacrament meeting and she turns around and hands my girls each a smartie and they make it the last 10-15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Levi and Cassie Mallory FamilyMarch 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM

    Here's to your mom. She is the greastes, and I have to agree that she makes awesome rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your mama Katie. She is wonderful. In fact, I saw her when I was home this past time. That made me smile

    ReplyDelete