Saturday, April 26, 2008

More proof that Ethan has his own personal angel sitting on his shoulder...

Today we were all going to go down to Salt Lake and poor cement for Grandpa Gill. Troy went down last night and stayed all night because his cousin Jackie had surgery. (This is the first surgery anyone in the family has had since Grandma died, and since Grandma was supposed to be a minor procedure that went terribly wrong, this had everyone really on edge.) Anyway, the kids and I were driving down the freeway in the far left lane going the speed of traffic, which is probably way too fast, but whatever. All of a sudden I hear this BING sound, and the door ajar sign came up on my dashboard. At this same moment I hear a gush of air, and Ethan starts screaming. HE HAD OPENED HIS DOOR AS WE WERE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD!!! Sorry I don't mean to yell, but yeah, that's what the voice in my head was doing! So here was the problem: We were in the far left lane, there was construction going on, so we couldn't pull over there, and there were cars bumper to bumper. I pulled out my "Go Go Gadget Arm" (I really believe that moms are blessed with magic things like that in times of emergency, there's no other way to explain it) I reached back and grabbed Ethan, so he wouldn't fall out, and then magically the traffic parted, and I cut across all four lanes of traffic and pulled off the road. Once we were stopped the adrenaline wore off and all of the possibilities hit me in a flood of emotion. He could have fallen out, he could have hit another car with the door, the door could have been ripped off, we could have caused a huge accident...AHHHH, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it even now. I jumped out of the car, ran around to Ethan, hugged and kissed him like I have never hugged and kissed him before, all the while cussing him out and threatening " if you ever do something like that again..." For some reason the child safety latch had been flipped to the unlock position, and that's how he was able to do it. We are so lucky that Ethan's angel kept the door mostly closed, gave me "Gadget Arms", parted traffic, and aloud me to maneuver across the lanes one handed, and kept him from falling out. That angel worked her wings off today. I hope we can give her a rest for a while:)

6 comments:

  1. You better believe you have angels watching over your baby! Yes, Ethan... don't do that EVER again. (I best always check my child latch locks too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad everything okay. Thank goodness for angels.
    Love the Mallorys

    ReplyDelete
  3. why are door handles so exciting. Dailynn did that to me a few times and I found the child lock quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you and keep you Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad all of you are ok. Those angels are always on their toes. :) and thank heavens they are.

    ReplyDelete