Friday, January 11, 2008
Thanks to the San Juan County School District!
Last night as I was emptying the dish washer I dropped a glass and it shattered. I swept it up and thought nothing of it. After that my friend Kristene and I went to Logan, and -long story-because of something not smart on my part we ended up walking for several blocks in our high heels. During all of this walking I noticed that the bottom of my left foot felt a little funny. Kind of like an itch that stings a little, you know? I didn't think much about it, I just kept wiggling my foot around in my shoe to try to itch it. It didn't seem to work very well, but it wasn't very annoying either, so I just forgot about it. This morning we had an appointment at 7:30, so I jumped out of bed and got the kids and myself ready for the day, and never made it back into my room to make my bed. As I put my socks on I felt them snag on my foot a little bit and thought that my feet must be dry, and I should put some extra emollient night cream on them tonight. All morning I felt that little itchy/stinging feeling in my foot, but I had my shoes on and couldn't itch it, so I just wiggled my foot around in my shoe some more, and dealt with it. When we got home I went to my room to make my bed. When I pulled the sheets back I noticed that there were blood stains all over the foot of my bed I wondered what could have caused it as I kicked my shoes off and took the sheets down stairs to wash them. Finally as I was walking back up the stairs I noticed bloody footprints on the floor. They were coming from my bedroom where I had just kicked off my shoes. I looked down at my foot and the entire bottom of my sock was red with blood. I ripped the sock off, and sure enough, there was a large cut, and inside I could see a piece of glass. I pulled it out with a little struggle (it was pretty deep and it was big and thick, it must have been from the bottom of the glass) and cleaned up the wound. You are probably wondering how I could have had it in my foot all of that time and not noticed. Well, first, I had my shoes on most of the time, so there weren't too many foot prints, just from a little bit this morning and the few minutes before I took the sheets downstairs. And second, let me tell you a little bit about me. When I went to school I rode the bus. It was a terrible experience, we rode for about two hours a day, we were the worst bus in the whole school district, we did all kinds of bad things, (And had a little fun) and barely survived the whole experience. (Seriously, in college I wrote a paper about the experiences, and my teacher said I should write a book about it, they were so exciting and entertaining.) One of the worst parts about it was that it was COLD in the winter. I am not kidding, ice would form on the inside of the windows. I once saw a child lick the ice from the metal part of the window and his tongue stuck! If you would get on the bus with wet hair, your hair would freeze. I had a long driveway, and after walking down it, snow would get in my shoes and get my feet wet, then I would get on the bus and my feet would get colder and colder and sometimes my socks would freeze. Through the time that I rode the bus my feet lost feeling in them. I'm like Mr. Deeds, except they didn't turn black:) I can feel a little on the tops of my feet, but the bottoms are pretty dead. I can walk barefoot across gravel, or in the snow and hardly feel a thing, so having glass in my foot was no problem. Anyway, it is a pretty bad cut, that probably should have stitches, but because it is on the bottom of my foot where no one will see a scar, and because it doesn't really hurt, I just krazy-glued it together, and called it good. (Another trick I learned from the bus - Thanks Lee Peirce:) I cleaned the blood off of the Kitchen and bathroom floor, and shampooed the carpets. It looks like the sheets will come clean, but the sock and the nylons both had a big hole in them, and had to be thrown away. Anyway, It was just a random funny thing that I though I would share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you rode the bus and Levi rode the bus why are you so tough and Levi is such a baby? But I know what you mean about the buses I had the same problem in Grand County. I can remeber the day we got a new bus with a working heater, still one of the best days ever!
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing in a way. I cut my foot on some glass and didn't realize it. I had bloody footprints all over the kitchen floor and couldn't figure it out. I call my feet "pioneer feet"! My husband just calls them calloused! I only wear shoes when the frost appears outside. As a mother it is a pain because I am strict about them wearing suitable shoes for outside, but I don't want to!
ReplyDelete