Monday, January 21, 2008
Random Weekend Stuff
My grandma has all kinds of homeopathic remedies and strange cures for things. Not all of them are herbal remedies and superstition, but all of them are weird- pine gum salve for cuts and bruises, poached eggs and warm milk for a stomach ache, That kind of thing. She raised my mom on this craziness, who in turn raised me on some of it. (She just picked her favorites, I think) Growing up I swore I would never make my family do these things. But Sunday, at three in the morning Ethan woke me up screaming. He had a sore throat and a high fever. I could have run to the store and got some medicine for him, I live close enough to a store to do that now, but instead I hopped him in a steam bath and ran for the kitchen to grab my boric acid and alum. Of course he didn't love gargling with that stuff, I don't love it, and I have done it my entire life, but by last night he was "cured", running around playing, and eating dinner, like nothing had ever been wrong. So, is grandma a kook or a genius? Depends on the day, but I sure am glad to be her granddaughter, and I suspect that my grand kids will be making boric acid and alum for years to come. In other news, it was my turn to stay home from Church with the sick kid, and Troy's turn to take the loud one to sacrament meeting. I love that. When Troy has to do the hard job, he all of a sudden appreciates me so much more. It was great! Also, Adia's primary teacher thinks that there is a really good possibility that she will go crazy if Adia doesn't stop talking so much. She is also thinking about asking to be released because she isn't really needed in there with Adia bossing everyone around, and "taking care of the babies". It is going to be a long year with her in nursery longing to be away from the babies and in with the big kids. She just doesn't understand why they won't let her out of the baby class. (never mind that she is the same age as all of those "babies") Troy finally got set apart as the elders quorum president yesterday, and is ready to get going on the things that need to be done. -We have an apartment complex and a trailer park in our ward boundaries, so there is always someone to move:) Just kidding, he does have real responsibilities too, and he has a great group of men as counselors to help him get the job done. We painted both of our bathrooms on Saturday, but the color turned out to be WAY different than the color swatch. It is perfect for the effect I was going for in the kid's bathroom, but the upstairs bathroom is probably going to need to be repainted (although I do have an idea for a finish on it that might make it work after all, time will tell.) Ethan is out of school today for the holiday, and I am glad so that we can be sure he is back to normal before we send him back. I am also excited to get to spend a little more time with him. It is hard to have him home and out of his routine, but I miss the little guy when he is gone all day. The countdown is on for the kids' birthday. It is just over a week away, and my parents are coming up for it and staying for more than one night (Unheard of for them) We are getting excited! I hope that for Adia, the transformation out of the terrible twos happens as instantaneously as the transformation into the them. (Please tell me it works that way:) And Ethan will be six. He won't be my little boy for much longer. I can't believe how fast they are growing. Well, that is about all of the rambling I have to do right now. Both of the kids finally went to sleep for the night, and I think I am going to try to catch a couple of hours of sleep while I have the chance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment