Thursday, December 13, 2007
Amazed
Last night the young women in my class came to my house for a class activity. We made cookies and then delivered them to people in out ward. The girls are so cute, and way fun, and I have admired each one for something ever since I started working with them. We had fun putting plates together and traveling around delivering them. Our last stop was at a sister's house who is a widow, and lives alone. She is 98 years old, and seems very lonely. Last time I went to visit her she had been on the phone with a telemarketer for an hour and a half. She had let him give her the spill, and then started asking him about himself, and then started telling him stories about her life. The only reason she let the poor guy go is because I came over. She is so cute, but when we took her cookies and she invited us in, I was worried that she and the girls would have nothing to say to each other. She made us come in and sit down, and gave us milk to drink with our cookies, which she also made us eat whether we wanted it or not. She told us stories of the places she had traveled, she used to be a performer about seventy years ago. She had been all over the world, and with every destination she told us a spiritual lesson that she had learned. She showed us pictures of her life, her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. She told us that she missed them so much, but didn't feel up to traveling, and none of them were coming to see her for Christmas, so she would be all alone. She kept us there for over an hour, and finally we had to leave. As we were driving away the girls all started saying how sad they were for her to be all alone for Christmas. Most of them are staying in town, so they decided that as a group they would like to take Christmas dinner over to her and visit with her. By the time we got to my house again, they were making food asignments and planning everything out. It just struck me then what truly wonderful girls these were. They were willing to take time out of thier own Christmas to spend with a lonely old woman. And they came up with the idea all on thier own. It was pretty amazing to me, I think I could learn a lot from them. If they are our future leaders, I feel like we are going to be alright.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Katie I love your tear jerking stories. What a great group of girls you are working with. Yay for future leaders of our world! My Mom saw your blog before I was able to call her and tell her that we made it home safely. She was so excited by the pictures. I told Jer that we are famous because we are on Katie's Blog.
ReplyDeleteLove You Guys
I visit teach a woman who is 97. She makes me laugh! She is sharp as a ever. I love hearing her stories. It even turns out she knew my Grandma. When I told her my grandmas's name... she just said oh you mean "Little Hazel". It was touching! I loved it.
ReplyDelete