
I'm pretty sure this is a real statistic :)
A lot of times people tell Adia or me that we look alike. We hear all the time things like "You have your mom's eyes." or "Your daughter has your nose." And always, always when someone says that we smile and say "thank you" and then we look at each other and wink and giggle. We laugh because we have a secret. While we do look a lot alike, she doesn't have MY eyes or MY nose or MY round face or MY elf shaped ears or MY crooked pinkies or MY monkey feet. While I do have all of those things, she didn't get them from me at all. It's funny because Ethan looks a lot like Troy too, and when we were together people never questioned if we were family because we looked like we "fit". I have no doubt that if Troy and I had biological children together that they would look a lot like Ethan and Adia. This isn't particularly common with adopted families like ours, and while it wouldn't make any difference as far as acceptance into our family, it does make me a little bit proud.
We have an open adoption with our kid's birth dad's family. When we picked Ethan up for placement we had the opportunity to meet a lot of the family in person, and to look through old pictures of their birth dad. I loved that because they look just like them as well. It's so cool to me to realize that there is a whole other family who has no biological relation to me whatsoever, but we have a bond through these beautiful babies, and we can share them AND share beautiful eyes and puggy noses. It's a cool kind of connection. Over the years I have been able to connect with some of the family through Facebook, and it's fun to look at pictures of their kids and see the resemblance to my kids. It's fun to see the kids "fit" there as well. That's the cool thing about open adoption. We have the opportunity to get to know where the kids really get these things. This is something we would always wonder about otherwise. So while I do think they get their awesomeness from me, there is quite a bit of that running through their biological family as well. :)
For those who read this and don't know who I am, I am the sister of Ethan and Adia's biological father, their Aunt Samantha. Our family was truley blessed the day we met Troy and Katie. We knew in our hearts that they would have such a wonderful life with their new parents. I love looking through the pictures of Ethan and Adia and seeing how much they look like our family, like my own children. I have also always said "You would never know they were adopted they perfectly fit with Katie and Troy as if they were biologically theirs." I have to say I love that we had an open adoption, because I get to continue to see how my niece and nephew are growing, see their beautiful little faces in all the pictures, read the letters Katie sends telling us how the kids are doing in school, type of activities and sports their doing, how they are doing as a family and how life has been treating them. It warms my heart to know they have such a wonderful loving mother and are such an amazing family. We love you all.
ReplyDelete