Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Incredible
One day my dad was getting ready to put some new touches on our sledding hill with his backhoe. He stepped out of the backhoe and heard a bit bang, like a gunshot, only louder. He looked up into the sky and something he couldn't quite make out. At first he thought it was a bird, but as it flew toward him, and got closer to the ground he realized that it was too big to be a bird. It got closer and closer, and just before it slammed down onto the trampoline right next to him recognition dawned. It was his compressor. My dad runs heavy equipment for a living, so his compressor isn't like those little ones you might have in your garage in case your kid's bike tire goes flat. No, this was a heavy duty tank. It turns out that it exploded, sending the tank flying into the air and crashing into the trampoline which was about 100 yards away. It did major destruction. It blew a hole in the side of his shop, it blew a hole in the roof of his shop, it sliced a hole through a big chest deep freezer. It sent debris flying all over the place, broke all of the windows in his shop, and in one of his dozers that was parked in the shop. And as you will see, the poor trampoline is a gonner. The good news is, his snowmobiles, which were sitting just feet away escaped unharmed:) No, the real miracle was that my dad wasn't in the shop. He usually is this time of year, and if he had been they probably wouldn't have been able to find all the pieces of him. So I am grateful to have my daddy still intact, and want to show you a few pictures of the aftermath. I didn't get there until several days afterwords, and by then most of the mess was cleaned up, but the pictures will give you some idea of what it must have been like.
My poor trampoline. I got it for Christmas, so it is one of those old school heavy duty ones, not like the cheapies you get now. The tank smashed that sucker like it was made of play dough. (Though while I was being a bad mom, and letting my kids play unattended they managed to climb on and start jumping on the part that wasn't damaged. "this part is fine mom, plus it's way easier to climb on now." Leave it to my kids.)


It blew all the lights, so they were just dangling there all over the shop.
This whole corner was blown out, but by the time I got there they had enclosed it again.

Thank you to the angels that kept my dad safe. I can't even imagine life without him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't imagine my life without him either. Everytime I think about the accident, my heart nearly stops beating and I have to fight to keep the tears from flowing. I too am so thankful that he was not in the shop and that he is still intact and still alive.
ReplyDeleteThanks to the special angels that are protecting him daily.
That is so crazy! I'm glad he is okay
ReplyDeleteHOLY COW! I am so happy that your dad was alright.
ReplyDeleteI counldn't beleive this when I heard the story. I think that the angels are all over La Sal. I know my dad has been protected numerous times.
ReplyDelete