What to do with all of zucchini that is overtaking my life? You know what I'm talking about. This is the time of year when your poor little family has eaten all of the grilled, sauteed, and roasted zucchini they can stand. But your garden is producing the little suckers faster than you can consume them, and in the spirit of "waste not, want not" you can't stand to throw them away. And everyone else you know is in the same boat as you and this is proven over and over again as you find a grocery sack full of zucchini on your doorstep each morning, if you leave your car unlocked as you run in to pick you child up from a play date, and return to find the front seat filled with zucchini, and when you look inside your child's backpack you find more of it. It's a never ending problem, but one that you hardly dare complain about. I know you know exactly what I'm saying. So here are a few new things to try, I hope that it helps, at least a little.
First of all, I grate it and stick it in freezer bags and store it in the freezer. That way you can use it throughout the winter when you aren't sick of it anymore. I don't love to eat it sauteed like that, but if you cook it in something like either of the following recipes it is great. So here are the recipes, though I can't take credit for either of them.
The first is from my blog friend Janeal. She is a fabulous cook, and proves it with the best zucchini bread EVER. It is super light and fluffy, but really moist too. And it has the most amazing glaze in the world. MMMMM, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Zucchini Coconut Bread
3 Eggs
3/4 C. Oil
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. Grated zucchini
2 1/3 C. Flour
1/4 tsp. Soda
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 sm. Pkg. Pistachio pudding
1 C. Coconut (optional)
Beat together eggs, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and zucchini. Mix all dry ingredients together and add to the other mixture. Pour into 2 greased bread pans.Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
Coconut Glaze
1/2 C. Sugar
1/4 C. Water
1 T. Butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. Coconut extract
Bring sugar, water, and butter to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add extract. Pour over warm bread and let it cool completely before removing from pans.
The next one is from a cookbook made in our newlywed ward. It sounds kind of gross if you just read the recipe, but have some faith and give it a try, you won't be sorry. Even my kids love it.
Tasty Zucchini Bake
3 c. zucchini, grated
1/2 c. margarine or butter
1 small onion
3/4 c. diced celery
2 small carrots, grated
1 pkg stove top stuffing
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small container sour cream
1/2 c. grated cheese
Mix bread cubes with stuffing mix. Pour half of the stuffing into a 9x13 in baking dish. Cook zucchini, carrots, celery, onions together until tender. Mix soup with sour cream and add to vegetables. Pour over stuffing in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Melt butter and mix with remaining stuffing and sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake 350 for 30 minutes.
I'm a bit of a drive.... and my garden died.... so I would love finding bag fulls on my porch......
ReplyDeletewww.myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com has a lot of zucchini recipes too. I grew up on that zucchini bake and always liked it. My zucchini plant is doing well, but not overwhelmign this year. It seems to produce one a week or so. It is struggling this week, now that I want one of course:)
ReplyDelete