Ethan has been having a hard time lately (or, since we met:) and we have decided that he needs something more than a really mean mom if he is going to get it all together any time soon. In order to stay away from drugs (not that we have anything against them, he is just pretty young to be on them, and because of his history he will get addicted to things way faster than most people... among other things that don't need to be mentioned) We are going to do things naturally, like going to a homeopath, using essential oils, and trying natural treatments, etc. One of the things that we are trying right now is a special diet. The diet consists of:
No Dairy
No Soda
No Caffeine
No Yellow Food (Like corn, squash, etc.
No Junk Food
No Fruit Juice
No Sugar
No Chocolate
No Processed Meats,
No Fried Food (Limit all oils)
No Artificial Coloring
We can have all of the veggies and fruit that we want (But not yellow, or juice) Which is great because my kids really do love that stuff. But here is where I need help. I am trying to get a menu together for these two weeks, so it won't be a struggle figuring out what to eat all the time, and so I won't slip up and put cheese in something without remembering or something. I have the breakfasts and lunches pretty well taken care of, but I need some suggestions for dinner, specifically side dishes. Does anyone have any good recipes to jazz up fruit or vegetables that still stick to our diet rules? It isn't like it's an impossible task or anything, and we basically eat pretty healthy for our dinners anyway, I am just running out of things we haven't tried, and two more weeks is a long time to have salad and steamed broccoli every night. I need someone else's ideas. If you have any suggestions e-mail me, or post a comment. Thanks!
Good for you. I have heard really good things about how much diet can influence our health, physical, mental and emotional. (Now I feel even more guilty about my most recent post).
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorites that you could use for a side dish or a main dish- get sweet onions (vidalia or anything that is flat), green peppers, and a lean meat if you want. I have done it with just the veggies, or with chicken or beef (I also sometimes add in other veggies). Cut them into about 1" chunks, then toss with olive oil and thyme. Broil on high for about 5 minutes, or until meat is done, or veggies are soft.
The flavors blend so well together, it is delicious.
I would also look at soups- black bean soup, chicken noodle, there is a recipe on my blog for a really good vegetable soup that has a great flavor.
Fruit is so good on its own, I would just say serve it different- fruit kabobs, cut differently (like you can take an orange and peel it, slice it, cut into wedges, etc). I don't really think fruit needs any jazzing up, just change out what you serve.
Sorry don't have any ideas for cooking healthly I just wanted to tell you that I love your new pictures that you took of the kids.. They are so awesome.. I love to take pictures too...
ReplyDeletejust the other day I made a salad with tomatos, avocados, cucumbers, and purple onions with zesty italian dressing. I let it marinate in the fridge and my husband loved it (I don't do tomatoes at all). I don't know if it totally fits because the of the dressing.
ReplyDeleteKate try this site. www.dlife.com I looked through some of the recipes and many of them will fit into what you are looking for. I have been using this site to eat better while I'm pregnant and there is ton of great stuff.
ReplyDeleteok, so I love fruit smoothies. just throw in fruit, and ice. You may need to add a little liquid which I am no help on because I would use either fruit juice or milk.
ReplyDeleteFor veggies, it is easy to make a mashed potatoes with cauliflower or a winter squash. just over boil them then mash. Other than that I am a mainly dairy cook so it is hard for me.
Emily
what about Pot-luck pasta salad?
ReplyDeleteHere's the recipe...
4 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, corkscrew shape (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, macaroni shape (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup(s) olive oil
1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 1/2 oz olive(s), canned, sliced, black (about 10 medium olives)
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup(s) grape tomatoes, or other small tomatoes, halved (about 10 tomatoes)
1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed
Instructions
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse pasta with cold water; drain again and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, prepare salad dressing by mixing together oil, lemon juice, oregano, mustard, salt, black pepper and garlic; set aside until ready to use.
In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta with vegetables; pour in dressing and toss thoroughly to coat. Cover and chill about 2 hours. Yields about 1 cup per serving.