Thursday, July 31, 2008

What!?!

Today I saw something that has me a bit disturbed, but I'm not really sure what to do with the information, so I thought what else- Blog About It!
Ethan's school has a summer program so that the kids will keep on track throughout the break, and not have to do a lot of catch up once school starts again. For five random weeks (I can't find any reason behind the weeks that were chosen. There is no pattern or purpose that I can see.) the bus comes by and picks him up for a short, half-day school. The bus driver seems slightly crazy (he reminds me a little of that guy back home who had a breakdown and took the elementary school kids hostage as he drove all over the county running people off the road a few years ago.) and has said and done a few things that have made me wonder how safe he really is - he takes off the second Ethan steps on the bus, before he has a chance to sit down, or before the door is closed, he drives seriously about 40 MPH down our street, and then SLAMS on the brake right in front of our house-really, I'm sure there are light skid marks on the street, he calls the kids names like "dumb-bum" and "nerd bucket" and though it seems to be said in fun I'm not sure how I feel about a name calling adult on a bus full of special needs kids. Anyway, I have had my moments of disbelief all summer, but have held my tongue. There is an apartment complex behind our house that the bus drives through before he comes to our house. The parking lot is set up so that even though you drive parallel to the street for a while there is a median so you can't actually get onto the street except for in one specific space about a quarter mile from our house. All school year when we heard the bus pass through the parking lot we knew that we had about five minutes before the bus would make it to our stop, enough time to put on Ethan's back pack, give kisses, talk about the "rules of being in public", and walk out to the street before the bus came. This summer however, it didn't take nearly as long for the bus to come, and I kept wondering how on earth he could make it to our house so fast. Well today I got my answer. I was up stairs when the bus drove through the parking lot, so I could see over the fence and see the bus as it drove. Instead of driving around the divider, he jumped right over the curb, maneuvering around a tree, and hedge, and several parked cars, to end up on the street, and right near our house. WHAT THE...!?! Keep in mind that Ethan is one of the last stops, so the bus is already PACKED with small children, who are buckled in (hopefully), but still... I guess that's why Ethan thinks this bus ride is "so much fun like a roller coaster". It probably is quite a trip. I still can't really believe what I saw. Today is the last day of the summer program, so the next time Ethan rides the bus it will be under the care of our sweet, loving, CAREFUL, RESPONSIBLE, LAW ABIDING, Mrs. Bus-Driver-Carol. I guess I should be thankful for that, and that we made it through the summer alive!

5 comments:

  1. I think that you do need to tell someone. That is not acceptable for a school bus driver. Come one we have seen drivers fired for less than that, so I think it is something to report. Luckily it is the end of the year so he can't take it out on Ethan even if he did find out it was you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie - I definitely think you should notify the district and/or bus garage!! I am not sure what state you live in and how they do things but that is absolutely inappropriate! I am a teacher nd I am sure that our drivers would not get away with behavior like that. It just isn't safe. Hopefully you never run into him again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with everyone! Turn him in but first take some video. That is so not ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call it in. The kids are not safe and I'm sure the school district would like to know about this stuff. I know one of assistant superintendents over a certain area... but she would know who you should talk to. That is not safe! Plus... the district as a "no bullying rule" and well, name calling falls under that.... and an adult should not be encouraging behavior like that. Maybe the driver is special student too.

    ReplyDelete