Saturday, June 14, 2008
Potty Mouth
Adia shocked me this morning, and the really sad thing is I have no one to blame but myself. (I really wish it was Troy's fault, but nope, this one is all me) I have been known to use the word "Crap" quite often when something is going wrong. I don't really see anything wrong with it when I say it. I can think of several more inappropriate words that would make the same point, and I choose crap instead. But this morning when things weren't going her way, and I heard my darling angel princess spout out "crap, crap, crapity- crap!", it all of a sudden seemed like a really filthy word. I guess we are going to need to find a new "cuss word" in our house. Any suggestions?:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will just tell you that because of my kids pointing out that I use to say Crap... I don't do it anymore. I have also noticed how many people use "substitute swear words" all the time. At chruch, a guy gave a lesson and in his sunday school lesson he used "crap" and "heck". I love that my kids also tell me to not use words like hate and stupid because "those aren't nice words." Good luck... but my advice, don't find new words to substitute...
ReplyDeleteI think I know where I got the "crap" habit now! Perhaps the year at college with you, eh? My husband always catches me saying it and thinks it is potty language. I know I don't want my kids to say it, although I could think up worse. Unfortunately, whenever I catch myself saying it I say, "crap"! My sister always said silly words instead of swear words. I can still picture her as an adult saying "pickles" "fiddlesticks". It ends up making you laugh instead of whatever made you feel like cussing in the first place. My little 4 year old has been saying "oh my gosh" and "oh, heck" and I don't even know where she picks it up. Maybe her cousins or preschool. She thinks it is silly and I try to explain to her that it just isn't good to say, but I don't know if it is really that big of a deal to get strict about. Not to mention all of the gross talk lately about butts, and pee pee and things like that, which I know comes from her cousins. They don't get together that often but it sticks. I guess it's not a huge deal but I really want the kids to be polite and not get the habit of cussing even if it isn't technically a wear word.
ReplyDeleteGarbage works well for us. "Oh Garbage." And no one outside is ever shocked to hear it. When things around us seem to be turning into garbage, it's alright to say so. It makes me laugh when Jackie says, "Oh Garbage." It seems to work out alright for us. Good luck with this one. It's a hard one.
ReplyDelete