Saturday, September 8, 2012

Holy Crap!



This picture has nothing to do with the post, but we needed a picture here, and I liked it, so enjoy:)


Where have I been for the last two months? Well... making memories to last a lifetime. You know like these: Remember the time we were homeless for 5 weeks? or Remember the time we packed all of our school clothes in the very back or our storage unit because "surely we will be all moved into our new place WAY before school starts", and then we weren't so we had to buy ALL NEW school clothes? or Remember the time when mom almost had a nervous breakdown because she had two children who she was trying super hard not to royally screw up and no address for them to write in their "all about me" book on the first day of school? Yea, those kinds of memories...
So let me just tell you all about it from the beginning. For the last year we were living in Monticello, and we had a pretty rough time there. But this fall I was supposed to start an internship in Blanding (about 20 minutes south of Monticello) and since there really wasn't anything holding us to where we were, we decided to move. Or, more accurately Ethan and I decided to move, and I bribed Adia until she finally agreed to come with us. So in April I started searching for apartments or houses to rent, and I found out about a really great opportunity. Some new apartments were being built in town (right next to the college, so BONUS) and they were supposed to be ready by the middle of July. The lease in my apartment in Monticello was up at the end of July, so it seemed like a perfect solution. At the beginning of July I called to touch base with the new apartment people and make sure we were on track. The woman I spoke to told me that construction was right on track and I could expect to move in around the 15th of July. She said that at the VERY VERY latest I would be in by the 20th, so I gave notice to my old apartment that I would be moving out at the end of the month. Perfect, right? We packed all of our stuff up and waited patiently for our time to move in... but the 15th came and went, and so did the 20th and still they weren't ready to have us move in. Finally the end of the month came and they said it would still be a week or so before we could move in. So we packed all of our stuff into storage and moved in with my parents for what we thought would be a few days to a week... That turned into "three more days" which turned into "another week", which became "surely by next weekend"... you get the point. Living with my parents was fine, we were used to that, but as the beginning of school got closer and closer I started to worry more and more. Finally school started and we had no choice but to move to Blanding. but without the apartment being ready we lived in a motel for the first week, and when it turned out the apartment STILL wasn't ready we pulled my parent's camper into the local RV park and lived there for two weeks. This created all sorts of problems. It is more difficult than you might think to register for school or have your records moved to your ward when you don't have a permanent address - "the Blue Mountain Inn, room 18" doesn't cut it in most cases. And I kept having flashbacks to the movie "the motel kids of Orange County" that we watched in my child welfare class about homeless kids who lived in a motel across the street from Disneyland, and how screwed up they became, and I worried that I was breaking my kids, and I would be interning at the Division of Children and Family Services and be one of the cases there as well... It was a wreck.
And then my internship and the school semester started for me. And I thought I might die. This was not the perfect start to a perfect semester I had been hoping for. Doing homework on the kitchen table where my kids dripped spaghetti-o's on my notebook while they watched tv in the living room/bedroom/kitchen was NO GOOD! Luckily last week we were able to sign all the contracts and move in, and we are finally home. (for a while anyway)
But, with all the craziness we still had time for some really fun adventures, and I'll be catching up in the next couple of weeks, so keep checking in, and I'll get us all back on track again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment