I have so much to fill you all in on that I don't really know where to start, so I guess first we will talk about what I am most proud of: School. This has been a year of huge accomplishments in the school area for the whole family. I went back to college this year, and am working on my social work degree. I still have a ways to go, but after breaking my back taking way too many credit hours, being a mom, being primary president, having an Ethan,
:) and trying to heal and have a life at the same time I am thrilled to report that I am on the Deans List for this semester!!! I also got accepted for Social Work Advanced Standings which sounds cooler than it is. It basically means that I am accepted into the social work program, and can now take all of my depth classes. It was a giant process though. In addition to having all of my generals, electives and pre-reqs finished, I had to have a 3.5 overall GPA or higher, a 3.8 major GPA, write a killer long essay about why I want to be a social worker, how social work effects my life, what I have to offer to the social work community as a whole, and declare the area of social work I want to pursue. (I got a super nice letter from the head of the department and acceptance committee telling me how much they enjoyed my essay; something that according to my advisor happens rarely if ever. Yay!:) I had to have recommendations from my mentor and professors, and I had to take a hecka long scary test and pass with 75% or better (got a 98 thank you very much!) Out of the 300+ who applied they only accepted 75, so getting in is a big deal--to me anyway:)
Adia also had some huge accomplishments in school this year. She was in Kindergarten this year and really loved it. La Sal school is a little different than regular schools in that the class size is super small, and there are two grades in each class. She was in the k-1 class, and that was a great opportunity for her. She has always been really smart, and picks up on things so easily that I was worried she might get bored and hate school. She had a wonderful teacher though, and she would just give Adia the first grader's work when she would finish her own. Because of that she is a super reader great at writing, and does 2nd grade math!
Ethan had some real growth this year as well. As most of you know Ethan has been in a self contained (special ed) classroom full time up until this year. When we moved here that was no longer an option, so he was plopped into a regular classroom and expected to keep up with everyone. It started out rough because he was used to a lot of extra one on one time, and that wasn't available here, but he pulled out of it, and got really comfortable in his situation. He had a teacher that was really perfect for him. He understands the things that Ethan is going through outside of school, and was a great resource for Ethan to talk to. He is also very patient and kind, and was really exactly what Ethan needed this year. Ethan got a lot of awards and achievements at the end of the year assembly, but the biggest achievement was when he brought his report card home and he had 1 B and the rest A's!!! And in his first year of mainstreamed class!!! Take that you crazy "experts" who said he would never pass kindergarten! HA HA!!! I am so proud of him. He is such a hard worker, and had an excellent team this year to help him accomplish what I truly believe is nothing short of a miracle.
So now on to the pictures. Please don't judge. The picture quality is why I am such an advocate for manual settings on your camera. This is what auto will do for you!:)

Ethan got a lot of awards for his hard work, including reading improvement, attendance (yes, we are
THOSE kids), turning in his homework, writing improvement, fitness, and some other crazy things I can't remember. He was super proud of himself.

Adia got a lot of awards as well for things like Math facts, attendance, super reader, read to the moon, walk around san juan county, fitness, citizenship, etc. She was so funny, every time they gave her an award she would duck her head in this shy kind of way. Every Single Time. It was weird because she totally isn't shy. Funny girl...

They both got super soaker squirt guns for attendance. Fun things about having a school this size...


Ethan also graduated this year. The school only goes to third grade in La Sal and then the kids are bussed to Monticello (one hour each way), so they got a special autographed graduation bear and a water bottle. Not sure about the crazy face he's making, but this was the best picture we got of him...

This is his graduating class of 9 (one little guy in the cowboy hat is hiding) This was the largest class they've had in years. NINE whole third graders:)

And this is Adia being goofy.:)
No comments:
Post a Comment