Have you ever heard about Bluff Fort? How about the Hole in the Rock group? Well Super long story made super short, A group of pioneers came from Cedar City to Bluff with their wagons. It was a really hard journey and through part of it they had to carve a road out of a near cliff and basically pull their wagons up by ropes. Oh, and you know that area where a little thing called LAKE POWELL is now? Yeah, they went through there before the lake. In WAGONS! And no one died! It really is an amazing fete. Well, when they got to this side of the state a bunch of them settled in Bluff and built a fort. A few years ago the church and the
descendant families, and some local people stared restoring the fort. They have built little cabins, and a meeting house, and other things. It is really cool to go see it. Plus it's much warmer there than it is in La Sal, so a few weeks ago when school was out the kids and my mom and Grandma and I went to check it out. We had a blast. There is a visitor's center where you can go watch a movie and learn more about what happened. Then you can go look around at all of the cabins that are furnished with old things, most of which were donated by the
descendants who's cabins they are. There are old wagons and hand carts and a
tepee and benches and statues, and a million other cool things to see. And there is a beautiful cemetery there on the hill overlooking the valley. It is stunning. And I took some pictures. I love them, but when we got home and I showed them to my dad he was less than impressed. There
evidently aren't any pictures of anything worthwhile. Just crap. So enjoy my crappy pictures, and if you want to see more you will just have to travel down and take a look for yourself.:)
I love your crappy pictures and I love the crap you took pictures of.
ReplyDeleteI love Bluff and the history that is there.
I love the people that sacrificed so much to settle in this little bit of heaven.
Thanks for taking the time to show off your crappy pictures because this heart sure is longing for the beauty of San Juan County.
Keep sharing as I yearn so strongly to come home to my homeland to live.
I love the history of the pioneers and try to read anything that comes out. One day I will visit the arches with my kids and go visit there as well...once my kids can all hike by themselves:) The pictures are no where near crappy. Maybe your dad is just so used to the landscape of beautiful natire out there and takes it for granted:) I think the nature is of course beautiful but I couldn't have captured it as beautifully as you did.
ReplyDeleteI love the tree one. I've never heard of this place. Thanks for posting about it!
ReplyDelete