Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ya, know what I love?

Pizza Hut on a Tuesday night. Not because I am really that fond of Pizza Hut-at all- but because it isn't crowded on Tuesday night. I'm not sure why, but it's nice and quiet, only a few people here and there, no big rushes, or loud people. That matters a lot when you have a son like Ethan. He isn't terrible, but when you get him in a situation with lots of people, lots of noise, and lots of smells, it is a total sensory overload for the little guy. Then you tell him to sit still, and be quiet, and have manners, and chew with his mouth closed, it's pretty much a guaranteed melt down waiting to happen. So we like quiet restaurants. Like Pizza Hut on a Tuesday. That's where we found ourselves tonight. Ethan did great in school (confirmed by Mr. Allen who called to say that when he gave Ethan his score of a 5 on his agenda-the highest score available- Ethan said, "you better call my mom because she is NEVER going to believe this!" And being the total sweetie he is, he actually did call, even though he has a million better things to do with his time. What a good teacher, right? We are so spoiled!) So he earned something special, and he chose to go out to eat.
You know what I DON'T love? When you are enjoying a quiet meal at a place specifically chosen for it's lack of people, and a BUS full of LOUD HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYERS shows up and wrecks the peace and quiet, and sends Ethan into a cover-his-head-with-his-jacket-and-duck-under-the-table-where-he-precedes-to-rock-back-and-forth-and-talk-to-himself attack. Yeah that totally ruins the night, I'll tell you.
You know what I do love though? When the high school boys, all on their own, with no guidance from their coach, notice Ethan having his little melt down, ask what is going on, and then do their very best to keep their voices down, and be respectful to Ethan and the situation. They also talked to him about football after he calmed down, and winked at Adia, who thought they were all dreamy. They didn't have to do that, they weren't being out of control or anything, they were just being regular loud high school boys. But they were respectful enough to do it anyway. It's really nice when kids act responsibly, and think outside of themselves. It's especially nice when they do it on their own instead of being asked. It's refreshing, and I was quite impressed and very grateful for these young men who helped make our night enjoyable. Ahhh, nice people really are out there somewhere.

PS: does this post make me sound like my grandma??? When did I get so old?

1 comment:

  1. Big high five for Ethan!!! You are a great Mom for letting him have a treat. xoxo

    ReplyDelete