
...No more teacher's dirty looks! Actually, I've been pretty lucky in the teacher department, but the song still rings true, I'm done with school! After three long, overloaded, manic, stressful, hectic, sleepless years, I am done with school! It hardly seems real. All week long I've been using the sentence, "I'm graduating on Thursday" as often as I've been able to work it into a conversation. It just sounds so cool. Much better than "one more year", or "one more semester", or"not until April". I can't even express what a relief it is. I hope that my kids can see that it's worth it even if it's hard. I hope that they know that it's way smarter to finish while you're young. I hope that this has taught them to go after their dreams, even if it takes a while. It has probably only taught them to be quiet when mom's reading, but I'm hoping that the other lessons occur to them as they grow up a little.




And now I'm a social worker. (Technically I have been a social worker for several months since I ran out of practicum hours and my agency hired me on full time, but now I have the degree to prove it.) Who would have thought that those crazy aptitude tests they give you in JR high would really turn out to be true? At the time back when I was 13 or so I thought it was a crazy thought. Social work is the last career I ever thought I wanted. But over the years I have realized that I've always kind of been a social worker. Now I've just finally got the title to go with it.


I was trying to find a present for some of the people in my cohort, who I have had every class for the last three years with. I decided a nice social work quote in a frame might be nice, so I searched online for something sentimental and inspiring. Eventually I found some, but what I found first is what I'm going to share here today. You know those Ryan Gosling "hey girl" posters that you find all over the internet? (No? You should google it, it's a phenomenon.) I found some that are related to social work. They had me laughing so hard I was in tears. You've probably noticed I've been sharing a few, throughout the post, though most of you probably won't find it as funny as a nerdy social worker like me would. Humor me, it's my blog. :)



I know this is a pretty random post, but my thoughts are kind of all over the place. I just really want to thank my friends and family for helping me accomplish this. I really couldn't have done it without you. You have cheered me on, celebrated my successes, prayed for me during hard classes, encouraged me to not give up, watched my kids so I could go to class or do homework, listened to me complain, endured my endless social work chatter, kindly ignored all of my "social justice" rants-and loved me anyway when we agree to disagree. You have acted interested in what I'm doing and not been offended for the entire semester while I 'diagnosed" everyone I came across with my trusty DSM. You have all been troopers. Even those of you who I don't actually "know" as we have only ever "met" through the blog have overwhelmed me with encouraging comments and e-mails. Your kindness has inspired me and kept me going. Thanks to all of you. If I could give each and every one of you a hug, I would. Instead, enjoy a few more social work posters.




You are just so awesome to make it where you are! I totally want to go back to school, and fear being an old lady and wishing I would have finished back in those SUU days:)Funny, I was wanting to be a social worker then, but after foster care with our first daughter I realized I do not have the mental strength to do it. I would probably end up adopting every case, and crying at the end of every day because I couldn't save thee world. I am not sure what I want to be 'when I grow up' yet:) Good luck out there-you will be great:)
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Way to finish! I also love love the mentos and coke story! Too funny...I can totally seeing it happen too!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, its an awesome feeling to be done! Good luck in the real world!
ReplyDelete