Last week I had a dream...
As most of you know, I have been working on my social work degree for a long time, and I am so close to being done, I can almost taste it. So in my dream I decided that social work is no longer for me. The pay is lousy, and there is so much stigma associated with it that everyone hates you, plus, I don't like other people much anyway. I couldn't just quit because my mom would be mad at me, so I went down to the river where I met a group of Navajo women. They were all trying to get away from their problems too, so we all decided to jump in the river and float away. We did, and floated for a long time. Don't worry, we all held our breath when we went through the rapids, so it was totally safe. We must have really put some miles on because when we finally saw a village built against a cliff overlooking the river, we climbed up to it to discover we were in Cambodia. (who knew there was a river that connected Blanding and Cambodia?) We walked through the village and came to a market place. There was a sad woman who was working at a stand that sold Chinese food. Because she was sad we figured she needed to get out of there and find a new life too, so we threw her in the river and took over her stand. Business was good, but there was one problem. A little orphan boy kept coming around and stealing all the sweet and sour sauce. Sweet and Sour chicken is evidently a high commodity in Cambodia and so we needed the sauce! So one day when he came by the stand I started chasing him and whacking at him with a spatula. And then I woke up.SOOOO... Analyze that! I'm looking forward to comments here. I really want to know what you think it means. I know, sometimes dreams are just dreams, but sometimes they are messages, and I want to know which this one is... Should I start perfecting my sweet and sour sauce recipe or my spatula whacking skills? And I should probably learn to swim... :)

Well! What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to DREAM! So, let's analyze this one bite of Sweet and Sour Chicken at a time...
ReplyDeleteI see the natural anxiety of a senior in the BSW program who is doing their practicum at an agency that has a pretty bad stigma rap. As for the not liking people so much, I think perhaps that is a reflection of some of the clients that you are dealing with at your placement. The Navajo women obviously are a reflection of your client base at your practicum, and I would have to guess that you are taking on their troubles as your own. And, in today's globally connected world, it's not surprising that Cambodia and Blanding share space!I admit - I'm a little disconcerted about you throwing that poor, sad woman in the river...it has overtones of throwing her under the bus...and that just doesn't seem like you. But, perhaps it does, in context: you were making way for the entrance of the little orphan boy - because we all know that you're a soft touch when it comes to helping kids. As for the spatula, well kiddo...what can I say? Sometimes a dream is just a dream! Love you, Katie! Thanks for the post :-) Love, Joanie
I think it means you should move to Camobodia, and be a social worker there (after all, you ran into an orphan who needed help). Slapping the orphan with the spatula didn't work so well... maybe it's a warning not to use spatulas. Throw sweet and sour chicken at him instead. Or throw him in the river too - he'll find a better place, just like you did! <3
ReplyDeleteHi Katie
ReplyDelete